Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there inexpensive charters from Milan to Florence?

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m debating between taking the Eurostar from Milan to Florence or flying a charter in order to save time. Any ideas about charter companies and costs?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
rex

You're strictly talkng about saving time, not money, right? And Alitalia can't do it?

Or maybe I don't understand the question? Perhaps if I understand where you are originating? Outside Milan? or outside Europe?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I"m flying from Boston to Milan, but intend to spend most of my time in Florence. The gal that I"m traveling with suggested the possibility of a charter. I"ve checked Alitalia but I could make it to Florence faster on the train. I'm concerned with both time and money. Obviously the train will be cheaper, but I'd be willing to shell out up to $100USD for a charter if it would get me to Florence faster.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM
rex

Did you mean 1000 or 100? Are there any two points in the USA where you can get private charter service between them by air for $100? I have seen it cost voer $100 just to send a package next flight out, on a scheduled airline! If there were flights between cities 200 miles apart for $100 on charters, then why would there even be airlines?

I take it that you have already bought this ticket to Milan? It wouldn't work as well or better to fly directly into Florence, say connecting in Paris or London, instead of in Milan? or Rome?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

no need to be so obnoxious. I was asking b/c I don't know. If I knew, I wouldn't have had to ask!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
LJ

Alitalia pretty much runs an intra-city monopoly when it comes to air travel here in Italy. Have you found an alternative or just speculating on the existence of same? (I don't mean want to get put on your ___ list, rkradin, its a genuine question...couldn't help noticing your touchiness to Rex who I also think was trying to figure this out)
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
ira

Dear rk,

The train from Milan to Florence takes 2 3/4 hr and cost about $56.
(See www.trenitalia.com/en)

How much time were you hoping to save?

As Rex suggested, have you considered flying into FLR?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
rex

It will, of course, take him over four hours from the time the plane touches down, even under the best of circumstances - - I understand that.

My response was a combination of smart aleck - - and the real question as to whether this was a simple typo. For all I knew he was flying first class at $4000 to get to Milan, and was genuinely prepared to pay another $1000.

And for $950, I might have been willing to pick him up in a big S-class Mercedes right at Malpensa and show him what the autostrada looks like at 210 kph (and still get passed a few times!) Woulda saved at least an hour over the train.

wink...