Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are backpacks permitted in the Eiffel Tower?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, while reading the Eiffel Tower website it mentions under the security information that large handbags are not permitted. Does anyone know if this would also apply to backpacks? Has anyone recently (within 4 months) been to the tower and noticed people carrying backpacks or a lack thereof? Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:37 AM
jay

they allowed them at christmas. i can't remember but i think that they searched all bags son don't have anything too embarassing in your bag.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Smaller day packs are usually allowed -- BUT if there is some sort of heightened security in effect or a crack down the day you visit then you'd be up a creek.

Same actually goes for many of the museums - packs may be "allowed" but maybe not when you are there.

I'd be sure to have a back up handbag or small satchel.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Yes, backpacks are permitted in the Eiffel Tower. I was just there a couple weeks back (on March 9) with my toddler, stroller, purse and package(s) There was no such collection of bags, security, etc. However, after paying for the ticket, as we were in line for the elevator to go up to the Observation deck, a uniformed guide (not police or anything) had everyone open their purses/backpacks to look into them as they took the tickets. There was no collection of the bags. You will be fine, no worries!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I wanted to carry a large enough bag to hold my camera and camcorder but the website was a bit vague about how large a bag is too large.