Strollers and the Eiffel Tower?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is an issue, but I was just reading the official Eiffel Tower site and they mentioned this:
The Eiffel Tower as a well-frequented historical monument must ensure the safety of its visitors.
"On an exceptional basis, all or part of the visitor-accessible spaces could be closed and hand bags checked. No large-sized hand baggage nor animals will be allowed onto the monument except for Seeing Eye dogs. Furthermore, there is no baggage check service available at the Tower. "

My question, which I already sent an email to them and awaiting an answer, is: What about strollers? Will we be allowed to take one up?

Does anyone know about the increased security measures at E. Tower?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

It's been a little over a year & a half but we had out stroller as did many other parents. I doubt that security has gotten that strict. In fact, at the Arc, we were ushered into an elevator so we didn't have to deal w/the steps.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I heard back from the officials at the E. Tower and this is what they said:

"Sorry, you can't go up with your stroller or luggage. And you can't leave your stroller somewhere." I then proceeded to ask about backpacks...Does anyone kow about backpacks? We'll have to make a special trip out there to just do the E. Tower. It would be hard to go the entire day without a stroller for our 30 lb 18 m. old that wants to walk where he wants!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:25 AM

This past spring there seemed to be no restrictions on backpacks.

I know this because of a particular group of tourists trying to bulldoze their way onto the exit elevator, using their backpacks (on their backs) as battering rams. Let me tell you, they work particularly well.

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I was in Paris this last March 2004 and took my child up in the elevator to the top floors of the Eiffel Tower in a light-weight stroller (the Graco variety found at Target). There is no objection to babies, strollers, etc. I stress the light-weight stroller part because you don't really want to manuever something too bulky up there, plus it is difficult to negotiate around narrow corridors crowded with lots of tourists. So go ahead, bring along a light-weight stroller to Paris (as I am sure you know, it can be taken on the airplane as a carry-on, ready for you at the gate) and is an indispensable transport around the city streets, yet folds up compactly and is not heavy. Bon voyage!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

The latest is that we can't bring a backpack up to the E. Tower. After hearing the awful news about the stroller, I asked about a backpack and they said "You can not." We'll, we were planning on toting him on the metro and at least bringing a backpack with his diapers, food, etc. I think they will allow a handbag, but I wasn't planning to bring one on this trip...I'm so glad I found out about all of this before going to the E. Tower. The stroller we're bringing is a Maclaren Techno that can fold and be carried. Not huge at all. I suppose I understand about the stroller but backpacks too? I sure hope that who ever corresponding with me knows what they are talking about, because I know a lot of tourists carry backpacks and they loose a lot of visitors, especially when there is no place to check the luggage. Yuck...