Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about the very top of the Eiffel Tower.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to the second observation deck but that's as far as my nerves allowed me to go on the particular trip. For those who are less fearful, what is at the top? I understand that the observation deck is enclosed, but how large is it? Is there a shop, or perhaps a counter to buy items such as postcards, etc.? I'm going with my daughter in November and I know she'll want to go all the way up, and maybe I'll just close my eyes and brave it!
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

THAT particular trip. Sorry, still half asleep!
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:38 AM

there are two levels - the lower one enclosed in glass and the upper open to the elements, but behind a screen. There was also a long line of people waiting to catch the elevator down when we were there. I don't remember seeing a shop, but admittedly I was there for the view and didn't look toward the interior wall much. If you can survive the second observation deck, you can do this one - stay to the center of the elevator so you don't have to look out. Or, if you are really scared, is she old enough to continue on up alone?

In any case, please try to let your daughter say she's been to the top! My kids loved it.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Yes! Go to the top! I too am fearful of heights but I felt very comfortable on top. Observation deck is large and feels VERY safe. I would estimate that there was about 10-12 feet of space from the railing to the wall of the interior core- all the way around. When we were up there people were standing 3 deep at the railing( at some spots) while others were passing easily behind us to see other viewpoints. The deck wraps around an interior space which displays information about the Eiffel Tower. There was no shop up there. But the interior space was fairly large- maybe 30 X 30 feet-my husband spent some time looking at the displays and found them interesting. I spent most of my time on the deck.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

One more thought-my 15 year old daughter loves to tell her friends that she went to the top. Initially, I had not planned to go to the top but I'm so glad we did.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM
nbujic

If you are there in Nov., you may not see much from any level . When we were in Paris in Nov. ( our first trip years ago) , it was fogy and rainy all the time. This, of course , gave us an excuse to go back to Paris every year since then.
Hope it works for you.

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM

It was raining and cool when we were at the top in July. Still thrilling! Glad we were prepared with warm jackets and raincoats.
mary
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I've been in November (and saw plenty - no fog). I also was TERRIFIED at the second observation level - so much so that I was going to just go back down. But my husband supported me but noted that I'd probably never make it back to the top (because I would remember being scared), so I grinned, beared it and headed to the top.

The top is much easier than that second level - the first part of it is enclosed, and the uppermost part is surrounded by a full cage. I believe the reason that I was so scared at the second level observation deck (and I am afraid of heights) is that it was so open. The breeze was coming through, and at the upper part of the second level, the railing is only waist-high (because the lower part of the second level is only a few feet below you and sticks out farther). You feel really exposed. Having so low a railing - and the fact that I saw people leaning over that low railing to take pictures - really made me very uneasy.

But I was much better at the top. So, when you return, stick to the inside of the elevator, don't watch as you ascend (that freaked me out), close your eyes and think of something else. The top, for me, was far easier than the second level.