Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a table for dinner at 6:45pm, and was told that we may have to move to the lounge area at around 8:45 for coffee and dessert, presumably to make way for the next party dining. Has this happened to anyone else? I have to say I've never encountered anything like this (even at Per Se or Alain Ducasse at Essex), so I was considering moving my reservation to 8:45 instead. I don't want to seem fussy, but I also don't want to be rushed through my meal, especially when I'm paying $$$! Any thoughts?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Without doubt you should move your reservation. I can't abide restaurants that still have sittings and if you are going to go to one, always go later. I've only been to an earlier sitting a couple of times and have absolutely hated the fact that I felt so rushed. It actually makes you feel as though you're inferior to the later booking.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM
SergioL

It's only because GR is THE hottie in London. Jock turned chef!

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Absolutely take the later sitting, if you can get it. The food at GR is so rich that you will make yourself ill if you try to eat too fast. If you are hungry early, there's always tea in the lobby of Claridge's to take the edge off.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM

take the later booking. You WILL be moved to make way for the next booking. Two hours is not long enough for a meal at Gordan Ramsay's. Call quickly as the later tables are much more harder to book.
Friends ate at Gordan ramsay's last spring and were moved along. They were asked after dessert if they wanted t tour the kitchens. They happily said yes...and then were brought to the lounge for their coffee.
I was asked to move from my table at Nobu last year. Considering the service hadn't been very good and our order mixed up, I was in NO hurry to move along. It didn't help matters that we were asked to move while my husband was in the gent's. We stayed to finish our meal. At the table. Our table.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Take the later booking, but this is normal practice, and logical from the restauranteur's point of view, however, I agree it's not at all satisfactory from the customer's perspective!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I would definately agree to reserve the later seating, especially if you intend to go all out and get the muti-course prix fixe dinner.
We had lunch at the Chelsea location in March. We had a 1:45PM reservation and I think it was well past 4:30 when we left.
BTW, service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Also, you won't be paying $$$ - it will be $$$$$ and worth every penny IMHO.

JoeG
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I moved my reservation to 8pm (no more 8:45 left, and I thought 9:30 was too late), so hopefully they don't try to prod us like cattle before we get our dessert.