Apartment in Vienna

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment in Vienna

We found Vienna Old Town Apartments , one apartm. for two people, 45 m2, Naglergasse 19. It seems good as location and facilities.
Is somebody who stayed in this apartment and can advise if is it OK?

Thanks.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 10:18 AM

I know the street but not the specific apartment.
Naglergasse is a narrow pedestrian street in the city center.
A good base for sightseeing.One end is found at the main shopping street Graben - the entire street not more than 250 meters +- long with the other end by the square Freyung.
But check- at Naglergasse 21 is a restaurant - formerly known as Papa Joes that closed months ago and now a new place Stadt Brau I think takes its place
Can be noisy - I think I saw a sign about music at night .
The old homes along this way usually have a shop on the ground floor- examples along this portion - restaurant, bar carpet shop, bath shop
apartments on the upper floors - most would be for local residents - some renovated some not .
These buildings mostly are 4- 5 stories - check to see which floor the rental aprtment is on and if the building has a lift - important if place is on an upper floor.
45M2 is not big sounds like a studio type -
my opinion if the aprtment is OK for you the location is very good .
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Molker. The apartment is at first floor, there is an elevator.
Meantime I found also Pension Sacher in Stephansplatz; at 7th floor, a studio 42 m2. There are very good opinion about this Pension and about the very kind owners.

I am not sure which of them is better, it is difficult to decide. Both are very centrally.

This in Naglergasse can be booked via booking.com which I know. Sacher can be booked directly, I think that they will ask for money transfer, as they do not work with credit cards.

Do you see any major plus for one of these pensions in comparison with the another one?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
dare I ask valtor if you have searched this forum or Trip Advisor for your suggestions? or for vienna generallyy? I have a recollection of the pension sacher being well-recommended.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Pension Sacher is in a building just across the square from the Stephansdom - the major cathedral and also considered the very center of Vienna.

Depending on the apartment at the Sacher - a nice view to the square - Stephansplatz and the Church with its very coloeful roof.

Remember our first floor here is actually the second floor as we designate the ground floor as " O "
Many reviews and comments about the Sacher - all the ones I have seen are very positive. The owners are on site and seem to be most caring and helpful to guests. The premises clean and nice.

While both places are central , the Sacher has the better location- that and the most positive reviews would make me think that to be the better choice.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Molker.
Based on the very good reviews about Sacher, I wrote them today and I wait now for the answer (they do not have online booking).
I am aware about floors numbering, it is the same in my country.

I visited Vienna 28 years ago, we stayed there for 2 weeks and loved it, we have very beautiful memories about this city. We are curios to see how we shall like it now and how much we really remember.

Annhig, have you a special reason to think that I did not any research about Vienna?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM

Many changes in Vienna over 28 years- better transport especially UBahn extensions- better restaurant choices - more upscale shopping- extended pedestrian zones
but beautiful architecture remains, the Ring similar Parks the same

Of course prices have changed .

But on the downside -
more tourists -
high pressure salespersons in period costumes selling over priced tickets to mediocre tourist concerts.

petty theft has increased . especially pickpockets on public transport - beware-
and although forbidden in city center - numerous begging-
ignore them-
much of this via organized bands each with a crutch, wheelchair, baby or small kid to increase tourist sympathy or more supplied by the gang bosses.

Viena still safe - but these things above bother the people remembering the former days.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM

valtor - no, not necessarily.

sometimes people do not know about TA or the search function on fodors, so I thought it was worth mentioning, as you did not.

no offence meant or given, i hope.

I hope that the Pension Sacher comes up trumps for you. if not, we stayed at the hotel Austria, which is a little further away from the Stephansdom, but is close to public transport, has a good breakfast, and very nice staff. and something important to us - it's quiet!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, annhig.

Unfortunately, Sacher pension has not free rooms in April, whenwe shall be there.
So I booked Vienna Old Town Apartments, which is also very close to Stephansdom. There are not so many reviews about it, but I hope that we shall be OK. For 99 Euro / night to have a studio, with kitchen, internet, elevator, in the inner ring of Vienna ... let's see if I have good luck. Today, when I booked (via booking.com) , this was the only free apartment at this pension.
When I shall be back, I'll tell you how the studio was.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM

sounds good, valtor.

we had pretty bad luck with the weather when we went to Vienna, so i hope that you do better than us.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM

molker, we lived in Vienna for 2 yrs about 25 yrs ago and have only returned twice, the last time in 2002. Now we are planning another visit next year.

While dining with friends the other day, they mentioned the theft problem in Vienna which they learned about from another couple who have an apartment in Vienna.

We were saddened to hear this. I know everything changes and we noticed the increase in tourists on our previous trips. But Vienna will always hold special memories for me.