Apartment location in Vienna?

Nov 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Apartment location in Vienna?

I'm planning our first trip to Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic, and we'll probably stay in Vienna 5 days. We're partial to apartments, and I've narrowed the districts we favor down to either the inner city (possibly an apartment located at Laurenzerberg 5, near the Schwedenplatz) or Neubau, the 7th, because of the proximity to museums. I would appreciate comments from those of you who know Vienna about these locations, and thanks in advance. We're also considering the Hotel Aldstadt.
Nov 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Good for you! Staying in an apartment in Wien is the absolute best way to go, you really get a feel for this wonderful city. We have used the Vienna apartment service on the 3 times we have stayed there. Here is their address in case you want to check them out as well:
http://www.apartment.at/index_eng.php3/app/
We have stayed in the Kaminek's apartments which are a little further out--15 min--than where you are looking. Apartments Augarten might do you well, I have talked with Beatrix, the owner, when I set up a trip there for my mother-in-law's school and she seems quite nice. The areas that you speak of sound alright, however, another poster here, molker, can really give you a better picture. Enjoy your stay, shop at the local Billa and eat in the neighborhood cafes. If you want any advice on where to eat,post back and let us know what are your preferences.
Nov 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Absolutely! Both districts you mentioned are great, safe, well-served by restaurants and stores. I've stayed many times in the Josephstadt district north of Neubau.
Vienna has such a great transportation system, you can stay on the "edge" of the city and still be in the center of town via tram or subway within 10-15 minutes time. As an example, several years ago, I stayed at an apartment on Wilhelminenstrasse a block past Romergasse (well outside the Gurtel west of the inner city). The tram stop a block away brought me to the Ring in no time.
I second the suggestion to shop at Heute Billa stores and eat in the local "beisl" and "keller". Its great to feel as though you are a temporary resident of the neighborhood even if it is a short time.
Nov 13th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I just found an apartment we like on Elisabethstrasse, near the Opera House. Could someone please comment on this area -- it looks like it's convenient both to the museum and the inner city. Thanks again for the encouragement and the help.
Nov 14th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Hello Operaman!

The area near Schwedenplatz is a good central location - near to public transport ( Subways U- 1 and U-4; streetcars 1,2 N and 21. Bus 2a)
Thus you can easily connect to almost anywhere in the city. Many restaurants and shops nearby.
A short 5 minute walk to Stephensdom and city center.
The airport shuttle bus stops nearby too.

Neubau is a mixed district- some good some less so. It is not in the center of things. But if you are near public transport it is OK
Re: Elisabethstrasse- this street runs parallel to the Ring - one street away. If you are near the Opera, ( about 100 metres away) you are in a perfect location for public transport( U-1 U-4 streetcars 1,2 ,62 and several bus lines too ) Probably closer to more major tourists sites than Schwendenplatz.Easy walk to shopping, Opera, Hofburg Palace. Major museums- a 5-10 minute walk.
To me, Elisabeth location is better- but it depends on the apartment quality.

Many restaurants nearby including a little place called Smutny- good food at reasonable price. An italian restaurant and a beer place nearby also.

A good grocery store in the lower level of the Ring Galerie about 200 metres away provides whatever food and drink you would need.
Nov 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Grüss Gott molker! I trust life an der Donau and the Grüner Veltliner is sehr gut! Is Smutny owned by the Gasthaus Hansy people?
alohatoall: If you mean the apt. that is listed with the service I recommended, I read the guest reviews and they were all raves. Go for it! The more days you spend in Wien the better you will enjoy. Let us know if you have more questions about Wien.
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for this wonderful info. Yes, Operaman, it's the Elisabethstrasse apt. on "your" site -- thanks for that link, and I did notice the great reviews. We're still trying to decide how long to spend in Wien -- our tentative itinerary: Budapest for 5 days, then Vienna, then probably about 3 days along the Danube, then 3 days in Cesky Krumlov, and end with 5 or 6 days in Prague. Would love some more info about neighborhood restaurants in that area, some input about how long to stay in Vienna, and any other tips you care to offer.
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Ah, three days along the Danube is very good. We have biked from Aschach an der Donau back down to Wien. Many excellent villages to see and wonderful little B&B's. Would love to help you with sights and places to eat (molker, the expert who lives there may help you too)
Tell us what type of dining you prefer and where you may be thinking of going on the Danube. What are you interested in seeing/doing in Wien?
Nov 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Hello Operaman:

Regarding Smutny- yes the same ownership as Hansy near to the Prater.
A big problem there now at that corner for Hansy as the city now builds the new U-bahn ( U-2) in that area.
Cold and foggy weather on the Donau- time for Punsch!
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I would say, Operaman, that we want to see most of the usual sights a first-time visitor to Wien is interested in, perhaps with more of an emphasis on museums and concerts than most, with some time for walking and sitting in cafes. Our taste in restaurants ranges from the occasional splurge (but NOT in a trendy touristy place) to places frequented by locals with typical cuisine of the region. Would really prefer to stay in one place along the river and take side trips - would Melk be a good choice? We're not bikers - do we need a car here, or would a combo of train/boat be okay? Thanks again for the help.
Nov 15th, 2005, 04:50 PM

alohatoall;
Here is my link page for Wien:
http://alexstarke.tripod.com/Links.htm
Melk is a good central place, I believe you can get to all the good spots along the Danube using trains and boat. What time of year do you go?
Nov 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Operaman - I had already found your website, probably by Googling "Vienna apartment" or maybe Melk. Anyway, it looks you had a great trip! We'll be in Austria the last week of September next year.
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM

A pleasure to help. The website is from our first of many journeys to Wien, and I constantly update the dining and places to stay with every visit. End of September should still be warm (molker will really know) when we were there last year it was in mid Sept and sometimes it was hot but at times you could feel the bite of encroaching fall in the air. Enjoy your visit!
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Oops; If you are going to be there at the end of September make sure you sample Sturm which is only available in Austria at that time of year. There are many Heuriger that make and sell it and it is fun to sample this light alcoholic beverage (it is also a good excuse to visit many Heurige too, a wonderful experience).