Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Grand Hotel Leveque in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Rose

I read about this place in Rick Steves book, anyone have any good comments? Thank you. Rose.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Betsy

Yes, I've stayed there and think it's an incredible bargain. Little ambience, though. Book early, it's very popular.<BR><BR>Type Leveque into the search box at the top of your page. Press find and lots of info about the hotel will come up from the archives.<BR><BR>Bon voyage.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:12 AM
jj

You can check their availabilities on their web page. Quite convenient.<BR>http://www.hotel-leveque.com

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Fred

It receives more good reviews than bad, as follows:<BR>Grand Hotel Leveque (2 star, left bank)-<BR>on very fancy street. Clean, comfortable<BR>basic hotel but fine - renovated last year<BR>small rooms but very clean, comfortable<BR>wonderful, wonderful<BR>returned and will again<BR>try and get a room that faces the street<BR>rooms in the back are not as pleasent........smells from the garbage [note: actually probably aged cheese from shop next door]<BR>spiffy with fresh decor <BR>It's very clean, tastefully (though basically) decorated<BR>staff is very nice<BR>won't go back. <BR>Room &quot;very worn&quot;<BR>not so clean!<BR>For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com<BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:52 AM
lynn

We just returned last Wednesday after spending four nights at the Leveque, Oct. 19-23. I had stayed there in 1990 (long before I ever heard of Rick Steves!), and when we decided to go to Paris this year, I searched long and hard for a well-situated, affordable hotel ... and still came up with the Hotel Leveque. A double with WC/shower/hair dryer/TV ran 84 Euros, petit dejeuner is 7 Euros; room rates drop after Nov. 1.<BR><BR>The staff is very courteous, the location is fairly convenient, the neighborhood is fascinating, good and diverse restaurants abound. There may be some cheaper hotels in Paris, but this one is quite nice. You can book online, as noted.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 12:00 PM
curt

I agree this is a good hotel and a good place to stay. The &quot;garbage smell&quot; that some complain about is not garbage but the aroma from the wonderful cheese shop located next door. To me it smelled wonderful. We found the room to be not large but not painfully small, with a nice bathroom and a big plus for a small hotel an in-room safe. Another rarity in any price range in Europe is the ice machine in the lobby. We also found their typical French breakfast of tea/coffee/juice/bread/butter/jam to be a fair value and more convenient that going out to save a few cents. Overall we would use this hotel again without hesitation. <BR><BR>If this one is booked another to try is the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marias, also very nice and about the same price range.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:45 AM
sg

Smelly cheese is always the best tasting don't you think? If you stay here another shop to check out is the shoe store just a couple of doors down. Very good prices on their shoes aand a good selection of those pricey French shoes , what are they called, the famous walking shoes, the name slips my mind at the moment. The ones that cost like $250-300 a pair in states they are half that in this shop and not seconds either. What are they called?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Betsy

Mephistos, SG?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:37 AM
sg

Ah yes that is the name. It is hell getting old you know. The mind is the first to go and my mind has gone on a walk about long ago.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Enden

Beauty is in the nose of the smeller.<BR><BR>I stayed in one of those Leveque back rooms and, as a cheese lover, found it borderline enchanting. In fact I rushed out to the cheese shop and bought a chunk of cheese (can't pronounce it) but it was mmmm mmmm good!<BR><BR>A very reasonalbly priced hotel, with an attentive, cordial staff, and like the real estate people like to say location, location, location.<BR><BR>Close to a metro station...on a street with good restuarants, fresh produce stalls, and that wonderful cheese shop providing Leveque back room aromas. <BR><BR>A short walk to Napoleon's Tomb, in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. Actually the shadow doesn't quite fall on the hotel but its within a mile of where the shadow ends. <BR><BR>I remember a pleasant half hour Sunday morning stroll to St. Sulpice (with its magnificent pipe ogan) which was a French revolution meeting place and where Victor Hugo's Jean Valjean attended mass<BR><BR>If you are not into posh but do like a decent place to stay at a decent price and if you like excersize you can let your feet take you to a lot of stuff. You can't go wrong with Grand Hotel Leveque.<BR><BR>If you like cheese ask for one of the back rooms.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:02 AM
rodney

sounds cheesy to me<BR><BR>ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hardy har har har har ha ha ha ha <BR><BR>joke, get it?<BR>ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha<BR><BR>oh my god my side hurts from laughing so much ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha<BR><BR>seriously, it is a great hotel.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
andy

And Rue Cler is interesting also?<BR>ttt.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Luis

Rose:<BR><BR>I stayed at the Hotel Leveque in May of 2002. In fairness, it a decent little place on a lovely car-free street. The location is ideal...10 mn walk from the Eiffel Tower an close to the Invalides, etc. My room, however..was a bit depressing: the window looked out on to a shaft..with no light. On a more positive note...the area has charm..and a great restaurant for Pave de Rumsteak: Cafe Roussillon..a steak for 2 and a bottle of red wine from the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France, coffee and desert was about 45 Euros for two. It's a local's joint..but has lots of charm. Drop me a line if you have any more ?<BR><BR>Regards..<BR>Luis