Anybody use trafalgar tours in Italy

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
kob
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use trafalgar tours in Italy

Wondering if anyone has used Trafalgar tours in Italy. Any other ideas for tour operators there.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM

What is your price point? Itinerary? Interests?

Who and how many are you?

Friends of my parents take Tauck, since their hotels are much more centrally located and the provided meals are edible (versus fake American/Italian you get in many tours). But you definitely get what you pay for.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Hi Kob, yes, my daughter and I took a Trafalgar tour of northen Italy in 2001 (before 911). Spent the first and last nights in Milan with six nights on Lake Garda in a "villa" that was lovely. Took day trips throughout the area including the Dolomites, Venice, Vincensa etc. Really enjoyed the trip. The lakes area of Italy is stunning!

NYtraveler makes an excellent suggestion about Tauck, but their trips are much more expensive. My suggestion would be to check out Insight tours which are part of Trafalgar but a cut above. In my opinion, the big tour companies are reliable - otherwise they would not survive.

In any case, enjoy Italy!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Hi Kob

We were going to go on a Trafalgar tour of Italy this December so we booked and paid for the tour (for our family of 5) in mid-May this year. A few weeks ago Trafalgar cancelled the tour, so I have ended up organising our time in Italy myself, with the help of many wonderful Fodorites.

My advice would be that if you want to book a Trafalgar tour, only book one that has a guaranteed departure - I think these have a little triangle next to the price in the brochure (I've thrown my brochure away, so unfortunately I can't check for you).
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Hi, My husband and I have taken several Trafalgar Tours over the years--and enjoyed the Winter offerings of "Real Italy" and another one that did Northern Italy in 2002. A friend and I did Sicily, Sorrento, and Rome in 2007 with Grand European Tours.

With both these companies, we had time to do things "on our own"-- and on both we went a day or so early to get acclimated and have a bit of extra time.

Last fall, husband and I took a SmarTour to Croatia and enjoyed it a great deal--good hotels, too. This fall, he and I went with a Globus tour to Turkey and it was great.

Some people are "down" on tours, and prefer to do their own thing, but tours are what you make them. The TD is an important component of how well you enjoy your tour. The itinery is very important. On all of our 12+ tours over the years, there has been a mix of regions and countries as passengers and that is also a great thing. We used to do everything "on our own" but find that it is nice to not have to look for places to stay, shuttle your bags around, and, even if the hotel is a bit out of the way, know that public transportation is usually available.Of course, this is just my opinion. Research will help you decide which tour might be best for you. Ciao!!mhm
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Hi Kob,

I did a 13 day Trafalgar tour of Italy in 2005. I did enjoy it and at the time it was the best option for my travel buddy and I.

There are times when you feel a bit like sheep but overall I think it's pretty good value for money. We had a wonderful tour director and I was happy with the commentary. Our hotels were of a high standard - the food was not but there was plenty of it

My travel buddies and I are planning our next trip and Italy has come up again and whilst we have since done trips on our own as a group, I have said that Italy is one place that is ideal for a tour because I don't think I could personally, pass onto them all that there is to learn about Italy - particularly the art and there is so much history.

Our tour director seemed very knowledgeable and I was impressed with all the information that was relayed.

Organised tours aren't everybody's cup of tea but they are a good option on occasions.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ttt for kob
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Hi

We used Trafalgar for a Rome to London tour and were pleased with them. As stated do make sure that it is a Guaranteed Departure Date. Yes you'll find the food rather ordinary - breakfasts are OK though. Be mindful of the location of tour hotels. Generally not centrally located so you will need to work out public transport. Clubbing with other guests for a taxi is another option. Be aware that you are expected to tip the Tour Director and Driver at the end of the tour. Regarding how much is well discussed in this forum. As a rule of thumb we tip the director AUD$100 and the driver AUD$50. This is conditional of course that they've done a good job!