COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Flamenco and Tango in Barcelona

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Flamenco and Tango in Barcelona

My See It guide to Barcelona suggests the El Tablao de Carmen in Poble Espanyol features flamenco. Has anyone done this to provide some personal reactions?

The same guide recommends Tinta Roja off Avinguda del Parallel for Tango. Anyone seen that? Worthy? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Neither Flamenco (Andalusian) nor Tango (Argentine) are native to the Catalan culture in Barcelona, but that doesn't mean that the performers at these venues can't put on a good show, even if it is not the "real deal" on their home ground. A bit like going to, say, a Bluegrass venue in New York City - you lower your expectations and you hope for an entertaining evening. And you just may get it.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Hi Julie, as Dalia points out Barcelona is not the birthplace of either of the artforms.
Still, the legendary Carmen Amaya (for which this tablao is named) was a gypsy born in Barcelona, and she spent her entire life touring to support her family. I wonder if this is actually family run?
I suspect it may not be so.
The most well known relative is Omyra Omara.

Perhaps LaClaire knows but I have nott seen her her for a while.

I cannot speak from personal experience as I have not been to Barcelona. Whoever owns the tablao
is of course using Amaya's name as the draw. It looks like a nice but typical pricy tablao. I would certainly go, be ready to pay $$ but probably not dine, unless someone here stated otehrwise.
With the excpetion of Casa Patas in Madrid, the food in tablaos is usually not very good.

Check out the deflamenco website for other venues in Barcelona..

http://www.deflamenco.com/sitios/sit...rio=4&sitio=00

ams
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM

OOPs I mean DalaiLlama...sorry.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Julie,

At the risk of telling you things you already know, I think you might find it very rewarding to find ways to experience Catalonian cuture, which is often quite resistant to Spanish national forms, and which likes to think of itself as experiencing a renewal as it gains more autonomy from Spain as a whole. I would think around Christmastime and New Year's there might be lots of venues offering Catalan music and dance and other celebrations.

Barcelona is committed to being a cosmopolitan city (and therefore has a lot of tensions with town like Vic, which are much more parochial-minded when it comes to "pure" Catalan culture) -- so maybe Tango and Flamenco take on their own flavor in Barcelona. But once you come into direct contact with the depth oof Catalan culture, and the far-reaching dialogue it had with other seafaring empires (and with France), you might want to spend all your time in Catalonia tracing down its expressions.

However, if you are a dance maven....
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hardly a dance maven, I just like a good show with some spunk and thought these two looked like they might deliver. Thanks to all for the very useful replies. I will follow up.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM

We just returned from Barcelona and while there we attended a performance of Flaminco y Opera at the Palau de la Musica. It was awesome! I highly recommend the "experience".