Any tricks for seeing Versailles

Sep 25th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Any tricks for seeing Versailles

Is there a smart order of seeing the Palace that helps dodge or keep in front of the tour groups or do they all split up depending on the company and swamp each area straight up?
We are usually the people in the front of line prior to opening and I know for instance in the sistine chapel fodorites instructions of heading as fast as possible (without running ha) straight to the Chapel without looking left or right resulted in having the Chapel to ourselves for a full 15 minutes before the next people arrived and it was amazing! - I love fodors! - sorry I digress
What would be the priority areas to see in the Palace and does the order we do this have any benefit?
I love gardens wo will include this as well.
We will be going on a weekday probably a Thursday if this has any impact.
thanks again to all for any tips.
Sep 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM

It's been a while since I was inside, but I think you have to follow a specific 'route' thru the apartments, etc. We either wait for tour group to move on, or we move on ourselves in advance of them (room by room).

We were just there on the grounds, and there is extensive scaffolding on the back, left side (chapel side), and also on the other wing that spans along the Orangerie side. I don't know if the renovation of the Hall of Mirrors is completed yet (interior); it's an extensive project.

In October, there will not be many (or any) flowers, but the fall leaves are beautiful, espec. if you hit a clear day with blue sky.

I was a bit annoyed at the golf cart rentals they now have (don't remember those from a couple years ago). The carts kick up the pathway dust and create kind of a haze. We rented bikes at the kiosk at the head of the Grand Canal for an hour and rode around its 'cross'.
Sep 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnut. We leave on Friday for Europe (in Paris on the 16th Oct) and so running out of "planning time" and just looking at Versailles. I didnt realise you could rent bikes to ride around - sounds a great idea. thanks again
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Well, don't bet the farm on it...We tried last October and no one ever came to man the kiosk...
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM

DD and I were in line to rent bikes at Versailles when what I not so fondly call The Battle of Versaille broke out. I wanted to ride; she didn't; DH didn't care. It got ugly.
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Well, that is where I would say, 'them that wants to ride - do, and them that don't - don't'.
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM

'twer it only that simple... DD is a bit of a challenge... one never knows when Alien Daughter will appear. When she does, all bets are off.

I make light of the situation, just to keep breathing, but the poor thing is a little off center, and it is a challenge for all of us, her included.

She is getting married in 3 weeks, and on lordy! Just imagine an emotionally unstable young woman having a wedding that would put Martha Stewart to the test! I know where the runaway bride was coming from!

Wish me luck. Please. sorry to highjack thread... feeling a little blue....