Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gardens at Versailles, Giverny, etc. in mid-Oct?

Jul 13th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Are they still worth visiting or dug up for the winter?
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM

We went to Versailles last October because we had 'bought' a tree to help the foundation replant after the storm damage, and we wanted to find 'it'... I don't think the flower gardens were blooming then, but I can tell you the fall colors were really nice. I seem to recall the fountain at the foot of the steps down toward the canal was being maintenanced, and had been drained. So... while I enjoyed what I saw there in autumn colors, it was not my first visit, and I probably would have been disillusioned if it had been.
Couldn't find anyone to rent us the bicycles, but had a nice lunch in the little café with only two other tables. The waiter gave me new/clean paper placemats for my scrapbook, all rolled up with a rubberband...
Went to Giverny in early May, and I don't think it was in full bloom yet, but didn't realize it at the time. It was very pretty, and got more crowded by the minute. Have no idea what it looks like in Ocotober...
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Giverny is open until October 31. There is a website - www.giverny.org that has a calendar and lots of other information about the gardens. According to the calendar, dahlias and the other annuals will be blooming until the first frost. I've been there several times and each time there have been different flowers in bloom and it has always been beautiful.
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM

You might check your library for a book called "Monet's Garden: Through the Seasons at Giverny," by Vivian Russell which has pictures of the garden at every time of year.
Jul 13th, 2003, 11:43 PM

Hi Karla,
I visited Giverny last October the week before the gardens closed for the winter. It was my second visit. I had been there a few years ago, but in June. The October visit was rather disappointing as most of the plants in the main garden were past their best and ready to be pulled out.
If you have never been to Giverny please make the effort to go. I highly recommend it, but perhaps earlier than at the end of the season. It was pure magic to stand on that bridge!!!
I'm sure you enjoy it!
Jul 14th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

I'd prefer to visit Giverny at a different time of year, but I will be in Paris in Oct. I'll wait and decide when the time comes, maybe put it off if there's an early frost this year.

Kiwigirl, did you happen to see my North Island NZ question in the aus/pacific topics? Any suggestions?