Fat Tire Versailles question

Feb 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Fat Tire Versailles question

lmlweb and others who have done the Fat Tire Versaille trip... What exactly do you do on the tour? Did you go into the buildings and which ones? Are there any options or does everyone stay together 100% of the time?

I've done the Paris day trip so I'm familiar with the outfitter but we did not go into any of the museums or sites on the tour.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Good questions. I'm interested in the answer as well as we will be in France in April and are considering this very tour. Anybody?
Feb 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM

We did this tour in Oct 2005. It was a wonderful day. Once you reach the town of Versaille the first order of the day is to buy your picnic supplies for your picnic lunch. You stop in a market area everyone agreeds on a time to meet back (1/2 hour) and off you go to buy your own supplies. You then proceed to Versailles on a wonderful bike ride of the grounds, stopping now and then for explanations of what you are seeing. The farm that was built for Maria Antoinette you do stop at and get to walk around. You cannot go into the buildings there but you can look in the windows. As the ride continues you finally stop for your picnic and the end of the grand canal with views of the palace at the other end. After lunch you ride continues up to the palace. You are then given a ticket and you go thru at your own pace not having to stay with the group you are given a certain amount of time to go thru and told where to meet the group for trip back. You get a audio guide to use while going thru. I cannot remember the time limit we where given before we had to meet back up with the group ( but I am sure if you email them they will be glad to tell you ) then you head back to Paris. I loved the trip and so glad we did it instead of just going on our own. It is one of my favorite memories of my trip to Paris. If you had told me I would be riding a bike thru the streets of Paris I would not have believed it. Do it I think you will have a wonderful time. It was really fun picking out picnic supplies at the market in our alotted time felt like I was on a scavenger hunt. We also did the segway tour of Paris with them.
Feb 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks pineisl! I loved riding bikes through Paris too. Glad to hear the Versailles trip was so enjoyable for you. I've been to Versaille twice and I thought it might be a fun and new way to see it the third time around.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Pineisl is correct. I did mine last September, and had a great time. The village shopping was great, and do have a crepe at the crepe stand where you'll be doing the picnic shopping - it's good.

I didn't get to see Marie Antoinette's hamlet - perhaps it's up to the guide's discretion? I liked the structure - group together for the bike ride, but once you're in the Chateau, not everyone wants to see the same thing at the smae time, so it's much easier to go through yourself, look at what you want look at, and when you start to feel overwhelmed, go out to the gardens.

Admission to the Chateau is included, but keep in mind that there is a separate admission for the gardens if you wnat to wander through the gardens and see the fountains. Go on Saturday for the fountains - it's great.

If you go on a Saturday or Sunday, riding through the traffic in Paris will be much bearable - it's much calmer and less nerve-wracking.

Have fun!
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM

To those who have done this day trip, would you advise doing it with kids aged 9 and 11. Both girls are athletic and love to ride. We are a family of 4, however we cannnot go on a weekend when there is less traffic, so how much time is really spent in Paris traffic? Just being a cautious mom!