Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good restaurant near Placa Catalunya

Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
jgg
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Hotel Pulitzer on Carrer Bergara near the Placa de Catalunya. We have a history of not having a good meal on our first day in a city as we are usually beat from the long flight from the west coast and trying to fit some siteseeing in and working hard to stay awake. Because of this we are generally too tired to seek out one of the highly recommended places and just end up anywhere - several times not being a good decision.

I am trying to avoid this scenario on this trip. However, when I looked up the locations of some moderate restaurants recommended here none of them are located near the Placa Catalunya (incl. in Maribel's guide). Several are located near Passieg de Gracia in the Eixample. I have studied the map, but I don't have a sense for how big Barcelona is - should that area be an easy walk from our hotel?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM

On our last visit, we walked from Placa de Catalunya to 'Cinc Sentits' at Aribau 58 in L'eixample. The meal was excellent. You might need to book, depending on the day: you will need to take your wallet!
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
jgg
Original Poster

adeben- Thanks for the recommendation. I have already decided that Cinc Sentits is a must, but don't want to do it on our first night when we are beat. I am hoping for someplace a little less expensive for our first night. However, I am happy to hear that part of the city is not too far from Placa Catalunya.
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

there are a number of tapas places on paseo de gracia going up on the right hand side.. it is a nice neighborhood, and the stroll will open your appetite and it is great "people watching" part of town.

a local can tell you the names..we just stop wherever no hour-long wait if it is busy.hard to get bad food at a tapas place.

Mar 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM

We were in Barcelona towards the end of our trip and didn't want anymore pan con tomate & jamon. We went to a place called La Poma, located on your right near the top of Las Ramblas, a few blocks down. We had pizza & beer. It was so good. The next day we went back for fried calamari.

Another place we missed out on, but would like to try is called Restaurant Elisabets, Placa Bonsucces at Carrer Elisabets 2. This is a few blocks off the Ramblas.

Good luck,

MY
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM

La Tramoia, Rambla de Catalunya 15, at the corner of Gran Via. Moderately priced, informal restaurant with tapas and full meals just a block away from the Placa Catalunya.
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM

I agree with Nikki, though I am more recently obsessed with the Cervecería Catalana on Mallorca Street (corner with Rambla de Catalunya).
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, they all look pretty close to where we are staying. I already had Cerveceria Catalana on my list from Nikki's trip report. Glad to know it is not that far away.
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/b...-barcelona.htm

Ate there twice. Both times great and good value. Lovely friendly atmosphere. Just head down Las Ramblas and it is on the left. You won't miss it. Enjoy the stroll back up aftwewards. Only five minutes from Placa de Catalunya.