Versailles worth it during renovation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the Versailles' Hall of Mirrors is under renovation until 2007! I'm going to Paris this May. Is it still worth it to make a trip out there without seeing the hall of mirrors?

Also, how is the town around there? Is it worth staying there overnight? I'm thinking of using my Starwood points to stay one night at the TRIANON PALACE AND SPA, A WESTIN HOTEL. Has anyone stayed there? Worth the hassel of checking out of Paris and staying here and checking back to Paris? I have 8 days in Paris.

What other excursions should I consider? Chartre?

Thanks!
JC
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:53 PM
lyb

I'm also looking forward to the answers you get since I will be there in October.

But from what I've heard about Versailles from friends who have gone, there's much more to it than just the Hall of Mirrors, just it may be worth it. Waiting to hear.....
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:52 AM

Yes it is worth it. Only half of the hall of mirrors is under renovation currently so you can see part of it. Versailles is huge and there are many many things to see. In addition to the main chateau, the gardens are amazing and I have enjoyed the petit trianon, the grand trianon and Marie Antoinettes hamlet.

Versailles itself is an upscale suburbian community. I havent spent much time there but find it attractive.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
P_M

I was there in January and yes, the Hall is under rennovation, but geez, there's so much more to Versailles than that!! MorganB said it so well, I can't add much other than to say GO!! And get there early because you can easily fill up the entire day if you see the trianons, the grounds, and the hamlet, in addition to the chateau.

Sorry, JC98, I don't know much about the town or spending the night there, but Versailles can easily be done on a day trip. Personally I don't think it would be worth the hassle of changing hotels just for one night.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

We enjoyed the tour of the King's private apartments + opera, which will still be available to you. Also, if you go on Sunday (and possibly Saturday, depending on the schedule) there will be fountain shows scheduled for the gardens.

I wouldn't bother moving - Versailles is an easy day trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM

I know a lot of people love Versailles, but I was not one of them. This may be because we were there last July and it was really dry - the grounds had a brownish tinge to them. I've also seen a lot of castles and palaces in my trips to Europe, so though impressive, Versailles wasn't that novel to me.

The town of Versailles - loved it! (Maybe there's something wrong with me that I wasn't taken by the palace but loved the town.) Just don't try to get lunch around 3pm - very little was open and we had to settle for pretty crummy French fast food.

I agree that while you should go to Versailles, a day trip is sufficient.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

Definitely goto Versailles. We took the RER and walked to the palace--not a bad walk. Unlike some other posts I did not care for the town itself so can't imagine spending a night there. If you want to visit a charming town I recommend Chartres with its magnificent cathedral and it is worth staying overnight.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM

the hall is very large,like an airport gate.half of it is being restored at a time.the scaffolding is all covered with extra mirrors so if you take a photo it seems the hall is unobstructed.
versailles is much more than the hall of mirrors,and i found many other rooms more opulent than the hall.
it is less than an hour away by RER train from central paris.