Anti-wrinkling product for clothes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Fodor what-to-pack thread, I know I saw something about a (Spray?)product that de-wrinkles clothes. Fabreeze? And is this available at ordinary supermarkets? And while I'm at it, those "Shout" spot-lifter packets, do they only work if you wash the clothes item after applying. Plus, where is this sold? I don't see it in CVS,Walgreen etc.

Looking ahead to May, your answer will be helpful in minimizing my clothes-packing for my next Greece trip.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
MaureenB

Downy used to make a great spray product. You'd use it by hanging your wrinkled item, spraying it lightly, then tugging the piece into shape. I thought it worked nicely, with a nice clean scent (although it was scented a tad bit too heavily for me). Don't know if it's still on the market. It was sold in grocery-type stores. Good luck.
>-

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I find the best way to dewrinkle things is to hang them in the bathroom and turn on the shower until the room is nice and steamy. Unless the wrinkles are super set in - or you're going to a wedding in a satin dress or something that should do it.

For the satin dress (or male equivalent) I would just have the hotel press it.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM

http://www.downy.com/en_US/products/wrinklereleaser.jsp

http://www.tide.com/en_US/products/p..._stain_remover
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Febreeze is a clothing deodorizer available everywhere, but I didn't know they made a "de-wrinkler". Maybe they do, it might make sense with their business and I'll admit I've never used such a product but I don't understand how such a product can be some magic de-wrinkler any more than any liquid, such as spritizing your clothes with water. How can some chemical do anything different than that to wrinkles? Sounds like just water with some scent in it.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I don't know if Febreeze makes a spray for de-wrinkling or not. I do know Wal-Mart sells those boxes of individual "Shout" packets. I also buy the individual packets of anti-bacterial wipes, and I keep both in my purse when I travel. Genie
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM

put your slacks and skirts in the
plastic bags your dry cleaning comes in
before putting them in your luggage and they will stay wrinkle free.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
wrinkles: I don't travel with clothes that wrinkle, mostly. If necessary will use the shower/steam method or borrow an iron from the hotel.

spots: I rinse it out in the sink using hotel shampoo.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Downy Wrinkle Release is still available in the U.S., but I don't think I'd bother to take a bottle with me to Europe, as you need to use it pretty liberally to get the desired effect (and so the bottle's going to be both bulky and heavy). In any case it won't get your clothing looking as if it's actually been ironed.

Pack items that either don't wrinkle too much (cotton knits, given that you're going to Greece in May) or will "hang out" in a steamy bathroom pretty readily. Sound like you're on holiday in any case, and nobody expects you to look perfect.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
light weight cotton knits, silk knits, linen that is supposed to look wrinked, smooth rayon, gauze fabrics all work nicely for casual warmer weather traveling and need no special care.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi T,

My Lady Wife brings a small plastic plant mister. She hangs up whatever is wrinkled and sprays it with water from the mister.

Another method is to hang clothes on the back of the bathroom door and turn on the hot water shower until the room steams up.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:30 AM

ditto ronnakala's method. the plastic dry cleaner bags really help to keep clothes slipping against each other and not matting and creasing.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I use tissue paper and dry cleaning bags. When folding, say, a blouse, I lay it out flat, lay the tissue paper on it, fold it over the tissue, then place the blouse in a dry cleaning bag. I do this on each garment - hang up when I arrive, and there are no wrinkles at all. Hope this helps....