sunscreen stains

Aug 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

sunscreen stains

Hi - I know this isn't exactly a travel related question, but apparently Mexoryl based sunscreens are now available in the US and there has been some discussion of it on the US forum. The problem is that Mexoryl based sunscreens seem to really stain clothes, and I've tried numerous different brands and treatments.

Do any of you have any good ideas how to get sunscreen stains out of clothes? Or which brands seem to stain less?
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:43 AM

Hi trvlgrl, I just posted on the US Q too. I do NOT know if this would work but hairspray often (often but not always) will take hairdye stains out of clothing.
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly, what an interesting idea... What do you use, just Elnet or equivalent? And do you use it like Shout? Have you used it for other stains? I'll have to give it a try.
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Hi trvlgrl, my hairdresser accidently got hair dye on my shirt one time and started spraying hairspray on the stain. When I got home I put JOY liquid soap on it and soaked it in cold water. The stain came out.

I don't use hairspray on my hair but I purchased a can of inexpensive Suave. About a month ago hair dye got on the collar of another shirt, sigh. My hairdresser ( a different one) sprayed the stain with hairspray and I did the same routine when I got home. This time it didn't completely take the stain out but it certainly minimized it considerably. Years ago when fellows put pens in the pocket of their white dress shirts sometimes ink would get on the shirt. Hairspray would get it out.

So I do not know if hairspray would work with the stains you have, but it wouldn't hurt anything to spray the stain and see what happens. One thing I do know. If you have a stain and after washing the article of clothing if there is any stain left DO NOT put the piece of clothing in the clothes dryer as the heat from the dryer will set the stain. Try working on the stain again.

Not good if this new sunscreen is going to stain clothing..that will not encourage anyone to use it will it?
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I've been using the Mexoryl products from L'Oreal for quite a while and have never had a staining problem with any of my clothes. However, I let it "soak in" thoroughly before I get dressed.
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi BTilke- I;ve been using them for ages as well and I usually let it soak in first too. The problem is if you already are dressed and then realise you need to put sunscreen on arms/face/chest and some gets on the clothes (like collars, cuffs, etc...) I've tried L'Oreal, Ambre Solaire, and Vichy; AS seems to be worst in terms of staining, but I like the texture better going on - and all stain.

I'm very curious about LoveItaly's suggestion of hairspray. I've never heard of that as a stain treatment, but will try it...
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:21 AM

trvlgrl, try it on an article of clothing that is alreay "ruined" so to speak. Also, do try the JOY liquid soap for washing, soak first, and than hand rub. I hope you do not have to many article of clothing that are stained. That would be quite upsetting.
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Try soaking the stained clothing in Biz--can work wonders.
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... what's Biz?