Another Museumkaart question

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Museumkaart question

I'd like to know who has used the Museumkaart and the iAmsterdam cards on this board. I need your opinions and experiences.

We're going to be in Amsterdam from midday Friday to midday Monday, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do once I step my toes off the train at Centraal Station. We're checking in at the Marriott near the Leidseplein, where I could easily buy the Museumkaart.

I have my yellow tablet here writing down pros and cons. Neither of the cards covers Anne Frank, so that's now a non-issue (I think the Museumkaart may have done so at one time).

The initial numbers, I think, are coming up in favor of Museumkaart. The Museumkaart will cost me 29.95 Euros and my daughter 17.45 Euros, and a 72-hr GVB pass would cost each of us 13.50 Euros. An IAmsterdam Card for 48 hours (a bit short of our needs) would be 43 Euros for the two of us and the 72-hour pass (too long)would be 53 Euros for both of us.

Plus it's been said that Museumkaart holders can bypass lines (I'd like an honest-to-goodness validation of that).

However, there are admittedly some extras that come with the iAmsterdam card. I want to know if anyone used those extras and which ones.

Thank you so much for your knowledge and insight.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
yk

I think the iAmsterdam card includes a canal boat ride also.

I used the Museumkaart several years ago, but I went to a lot of museums... including ones in Den Haag and Rotterdam. It was a great deal for me. Of course, if you think you'll return to the Netherlands within 1 year, you can use the Museumkaart again!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

I know I'm not coming back within a year ( I'd love an excuse to do so, but I don't think this is enough )so I can't put it in the "pro" column for the Museumkaart.

As you noted, there are two canal tours--one with Holand International and the other with Rederij Noord-Zuid--included for free with the I Amsterdam. I am undecided whether or not that's something I really would like to do.

Darn it. If I was just planning on a few extra days or a daytrip out of the city, this would be a done deal.

Thank you for your input, yk.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Museumkaart holders can indeed bypass lines.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you. A confirmed check in my Pro column for Museumkaart.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:58 AM

There is a good list of all the museums in The Netherlands that accept the museumcard on http://www.dutchmuseumsite.com
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM

I also have been struggling to figure this out. Tripadvisor has similar discussions. My understanding (and on the site that DavidsMuseum provided) is that the Anne Frank museum IS included in the museumkaart. The IAmsterdam card does not include the Anne Frank museum. In any case, you will still need to make reservations to the Anne Frank museum if you want to completely avoid lines even if you have the Museumkaart. Regarding public transportation passes, some folks think that Amsterdam is best seen walking and didn't use them. We are going in August so will have a better sense then.