Search

Touring Amsterdam's Canals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring Amsterdam's Canals

We are off to Amsterdam on May 7th. Could someone please recommend a boat touring company for seeing the city from the canals?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM

Check out the webiste for St. Nicholas boat club. If that appeals to you, go for it - otherwise all the big companies are more or less the same, except the hop on / hop off option which is self explanatory.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM

All companies drive virtually identical boats on virtually identical routs and charge the going rate. Find the one that's most convenient to you and hop on.

The canal tour by boat is one of the few things worth doing in A-dam. Renting a bike is another. leaving A-dam is the third (my opinion only, the museums aren't that great and I'm not into drugs or prostitution). I know some think A-dam is a great place to visit but I'm pretty sure they are high while they are thinking it.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM

I'd agree with leaving Amsterdam - but only to explore what the rest of the Netherlands has to offer .
I don't like Amsterdam much. Only go in if I have to, if we have guests who really want to go or there is a special exhibition on.

As far as boat tours go with the exception of the museum boat they all do much the same route for much the same rate. If you are foolish enough you can hire a pedalo and do it yourself.
Bike riding in Amsterdam is fine if you have a death wish or are used to it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM

Suec1 is mostly correct in saying that the big companies more or less do the same thing. If you happen to be an architecture buff, Rederij Lovers www.lovers.nl has an Amsterdam canal tour that ventures off the beaten path to give you a glimpse of the city's contemporary architecture hotspots.

I wonder what bdjtbenson thinks would be a good museum, having concluded that the ones in Amsterdam aren't that great? I am very familiar with the major museums of the Netherlands (in Amsterdam and elsewhere) as well as the big museums of other European capitals, and I've never heard it suggested that Amsterdam's big three (Rijksmuseum, van Gogh, and Stedelijk) don't rank among the best in the world.

I wholeheartedly agree with Hetismij, that the rest of NL has lots to offer, but I think that anyone who reduces Amsterdam to prostitution, drugs, and so-so museums might be slightly more into drugs than they'd care to admit.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM

Have a look at the website of Reederij Kooij. One of their departure oints is at Spui near Munttower. They have regular tours but also evening tours with "wine and Cheese".
http://www.rederijkooij.nl/index_en.html

I disagree with the others, Amsterdam is certainly worth a visit. Rijksmuseum, van Gogh and Ann Frank House are worth a visit. Only if you have more days, have a look at other places outside the city.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM

Global Guy,

Rijksmuseum was a huge disappointment to me. It may be that my expectations were too high. I went in expecting world class. It's big and has a lot in it. For a country that competed for world dominance, however, the museum has surprisingly few treasures. Certainly Britain, Germany, France, Russia and Italy (I haven't been to Spain or Portugal yet) have better museums and galleries. If you are touring Europe, this would be one to skip in favor of better museums elsewhere.

The best part of the Van Gogh is that it covers periods that most wouldn't recognize as Van Gogh. He painted the same subjects many times so the great pieces are essentially duplicated elsewhere.

Again it's just my opinion but A-dam seems to cater to the drugs and prostitution crowd. It's the dirtiest city in Northern Europe (any other candidates?). You can't walk in a park without watching to avoid needles on the ground. Some people are attracted to that. If you're not or are traveling with your family, there are better places to be.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Much appreciation to those of you who offered an answer to my question. For those of you who gave negative reviews of this city, I can only say that we have many friends here in No Calif that love Amsterdam. That's why we have decided to spend five days there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM

Amsterdam is an interesting city and defintely worth your time in my opinion. Just got back from a 4 day visit. The canal cruise is a must. This was my second visit and my first to do a canal cruise. It really gives you a very different perspective on the city. We just used Canal Bus. It has three lines (red, blue, and green) that go all over the city. We focused on the red line and just hopped on and off all day.

I personally liked the Rijksmuseum. The Rembrandts and Vermeers alone were worth it for me. Oh and I just loved the doll houses! They were so interesting! Sure, it's not the Prado, the Louvre or the National Gallery, but Amsterdam isn't Madrid, Paris or London either.

I found the Anne Frank House and VanGogh museum interesting as well. The Anne Frank House is currently missing quite a few items that I believe are on a traveling exhibit, but it's still a powerful experience.

I'll admit that Amsterdam does have a seedy feel to it and I think that a 5 day trip would be just about enough. It's not my favorite European city, but I don't think it's a horrible place. I agree that getting out for a day or 2 could be a good idea. There are many day trips in the general area that could be worth your time. I've visited Delft, Keukenhof Gardens, and Edam. My dad visitied Rotterdam and Utrecht and enjoyed both quite a bit.

I thought Amsterdam also had some good shopping. We enjoyed the Albert Cuyp Market. The market itself isn't all that spectacular, but the surrounding streets had some interesting little shops and cafes. We found some really nice restaurants on the Spuistraat and the Haarlemerstraat.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM

BdjtBenson....Did you visit the Rijksmuseum recently; meaning in the last few years? If so, that may have negatively impacted your visit. Since the vast majority of the museum has been undergoing renos for what feels like forever, the bulk of the collections have not been on display. I guess it's fair to say that unless you have a passion for Dutch Master works, the Rijksmuseum isn't a great option, for the time being anyway.

Regarding the Van Gogh; We agree that the most interesting pieces are the least expected. Personally I really like his Japanese themed works, and they sure aren't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Van Gogh.

We can agree to disagree on the drugs and prostitution angle. In my opinion the seedyness factor drops off quickly, the further one strays from the Damrak and the Red Light District.

Finally, on the museum front, did you know that the Hermitage has opened an Amsterdam outpost where exhibitions of the parent gallery's collections are staged?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:18 AM

I think Amsterdam is worth a visit if you have never been.
I am not a city person, and living fairly close to Amsterdam I don't particularly enjoy it. The museums are one of the reasons I will go into the city, showing it to visitors is another. I think it is quite common for people not to appreciate that which is on their own doorstep. I grew up on the outskirts of London but never went in to the centre until after I had moved away. Friends in Pasadena only went to La Brea tarpits when we took them - they have lived in Pasadena for nearly 45 years and rarely go into LA. We also took them to Joshua tree NP which they had also never visited!

The Rijksmuseum is maybe disappointing at the moment whilst the rebuilding is going on, but once it is fully reopened it will again be a world class museum. The Hermitage is on my list, and will drag me into the city. The fact the the VG shows his early work, and unexpected aspects of his work makes it worth a visit. The extra exhibitions they put on are also usually very interesting.

Don't be put off by me please, enjoy your visit, and then maybe come back again and explore some more of the Netherlands.

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM

Like everything, it depends on your personal tastes.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I think both Bdjtbenson and Hetismij need to smoke a fat one! You girls need to lighten up! You both are too serious! You are really bringing this message board down! Ah, I'm just kidding you girls!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Hi Wm,

Go to Amsterdam and make up your own
mind... I've been there 4 times over the last 30 odd years and love it.
I only wish I could get there more often. My wife and daughter love it too.

I love the old buildings
I love how they lean
I love the canals
I love the cobblestones
I love the bicycles
I love the Dutch
I love the frites met mayonnaise
I love the museums
I love being able to walk almost
everywhere
I love the free ferries over the IJ
I love drinking a Heineken and watching people go by
I love the houseboats
I love how the Dutch don't hide
and persecute the world's oldest
profession but put it out in the open.
I love how the Dutch don't throw those who choose to smoke 'a fat one' in jail
I love how you can walk right up
to the palace and knock on the front door (if I wanted to)

I've never found Amsterdam dirtier
than any other major city.

So go, enjoy, and don't let naysayers put you off!

Rob
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Rob, thanks so much for your positive reply--you sound like a traveler rather than a tourist. I'm an architect so I'm very much looking forward to seeing both old and new buildings when I visit in May. BTW, is the Rijksmuseum still being remodeled?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM

The Rijksmuseum renovation will be completed in 2010. In the meantime, many of the highlight Dutch Master paintings are on display, but little else is.

Since you mentioned your interest in architecture, you might make a point of visiting Rotterdam for a day as it's a contemporary architectural playground of sorts. Also in Rotterdam is the Netherlands Architectural Institute (NAI) http://en.nai.nl/ which is an exhibition space dedicated to architecture and urban planning.

If you find yourself in Utrecht, you could visit the Rietveld-Schroder House, Gerrit Rietveld's iconic building. http://www.centraalmuseum.nl/page.oc...=&version=

In Amsterdam, drop into Arcam and pick up a map of the city's best buildings or if you are renting a bike, rent it at Macbikes and ask them for a map of the architectural highlights in the city. They have self-guided half-day and full-day routes that give a very comprehensive tour of the city in addition to pointing out the great buildings.

www.arcam.nl

www.macbike.nl
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Re the Rijksmuseum renovations..
both my wife and I have been there
more than once on previous visits
but felt we should take our 15 year
old daughter. After a week in Paris
we were close to 'museum overload' so found the abbreviated version quite good... you can see the 'must sees' all in one small area.

And we very much enjoyed the Van Gogh museum... I thought I knew quite a bit about him but found out a lot more.

We also found Rembrandt's house well
worth a visit... we had never got around to it on previous visits.

Rob

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Agree with Rob. We hit Amsterdam after 7 days in London and after visiting the National Gallery, V&A, National Portrait Gallery and the Tate; the Rijksmuseum was refreshingly brief Like I said in my earlier post the Vermeers and the Rembrandts alone made the visit worth my time. Have a blast in Amsterdam and I'm going to wish great weather for you!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Do anyone know if you can rent your own boat and cruise the canals for the day. My husband and I will be there for 3 days in August.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM

I've never this in 4 trips to Amsterdam.

You can rent pedal boats but they always seem to me to be an awful lot of energy spent for not much speed or distance. ;^)

Rob