Amsterdam hotel-canal or not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the advantages, disadvantages of staying in a hotel on the canals, versus not.

thinking of museum area or canal.

thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure it's necessary to stay on a canal, but I always encourage people to stay within the canal zone because that is the historic Amsterdam that people come to see. I haven't spent as much time in the museum quarter, so I don't have as good a feel for the density, ambiance and level of activity there. It seems more spread out than the centre city to me, partly owing to some larger park areas.

Here is a neat site that allows you to sort of "walk" around Amsterdam, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.channels.nl/

(I haven't checked it all the way down to the museum quarter.) Regardless, Amsterdam is a wonderful place to visit and we've found it to be worth several return visits.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:48 PM

I find that just sitting in the the early morning and in the evening watching the canal boats go by, just adds that extra to our trip to Amsterdam...We usually go every second year and I only book if we can have a canal view!!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

where do you usually stay? is it noisy on the canal? odors?
thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:51 PM

TracyB, we are going next week, and are staying at the Radisson SAS, not by choice...have you heard, do you know anything about this hotel?
Thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.hotspotsamsterdam.nl was helpful for planning.

I *loved* the Leidseplein and Vondelpark districts. Much more scenic and beautiful than central area around The Dam, RLD, train station.

I stayed at a simple 3-star, with no canal option so can't comment on that part. Seems like it would be nice. No, the canals do not smell.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 09:17 PM

Joanel, it ends up that we stay somewhere different each time we go..Over the years, hotel rooms have become so expensive, so the one's we used to stay in are out of our price range now..However, last time we were in Amsterdam, we stayed at Sunhead of 1617..It was right on the Herengracht Canal and the views were amazing...
sunhead.com
We have stayed at the Estheria Hotel, which is very nice, but has become very expensive...it is on the Singel Canal and close to shopping, flower market, basically everything...This time, because the Canadian dollar is so bad, we are staying at Hotel Hoksbergen...It is right down the street from Estheria, but is about a quarter of the price....We have also stayed at the Hotel Agora, it is very nice, but there is construction going on in front so the canal view is blocked..Hotel Maas, near Leideplein is also nice...But there are ton's of hotels to chose from...It just depends on how much you want to spend..But for the altimate Dutch experience, i would recommend the Sunhead of 1617...Check their website... I have never noticed a smell from the canals.

Danie, I really don't know anything about the Radisson SAS, but I know that when in Amsterdam, I would rather stay in a canal house...But I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you are staying...Amsterdam is a great city!!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Well, according to our boat tour, the canals in Amsterdam are flushed every night. They close the locks, pump in sea water, and open them again. No smell at all. Noise is another matter. We stayed in a hotel on what turned out to be a fairly busy street about five minutes from the Leidseplein. We got used to the trams, but let's just say that on the weekends Amsterdammers party hearty--cheerful, but very noisy people shouting in the street at 3 in the morning. It didn't stop us from loving the city, but earplugs were definitely an asset.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Some hotels in the canal district are in very old buildings that lack elevators, so if stairs might be trouble, be sure to ask. There are quite a few museum district hotels just outside the canals -- not as picturesque as the canal locations, but quite convenient to trams, a bit less expensive, and more likely to have elevators.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Intrepid

And just because there is a canal don't assume you'll necessarily see a lot of traffic on it..if you're intention is to kick back and watch the vessles floating by. Some of the canals are much busier than others.
I agree about the elevators. The older canal houses that have been conversted to hotels don't always have them and the stairs have to be some of the STEEPEST on earth...be sure to inquire if this is an issue for you.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

does canal area tend to be noisy? museum area quieter?
looked at some canal hotels and see mixed reviews. willing to spend around $140 - 180 but would like breakfast included. (not interested in places with breakfast for 15-18E each!).

steep stairs could be an issue

any ideas
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:23 PM

I would probably try Hotel Estheria if you want to spend that much..It is on a canal, but quiet and has an elevator, and is also in the centre of town..Be sure to ask for a canal view room though..The rooms are small but very nice and cozy and I do recall breakfast was very good and you eat it overlooking the canal..If we were not going to Greece first in September, I would splurge and stay there...And when we were there a few years ago breakfast was included, but it might have changed since then...What I usually do is email directly to the hotel, tell them how long I am staying and that I want breakfast and taxes included and often, they will give me a discount..Anyhow, that is my suggestion...If you would rather be in the museum area, that is your choice, it is hard to give advice to someone you don't know...I am just going by what I like and museumland is not my main interest, however, that is a nice area of Amsterdam.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Someone asked about the Radisson SAS. I stayed there 2 years ago. It's a very nice hotel in a convenient location although not on a canal.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I just commented on another post about A'dam - we think the canal area is ideal because it is exceptionally quiet for a European capital. Not silent, and the people noise can echo about the narrower canals, and some car/tram noise if you're nearby, but otherwise the church bells and bike bells are the most noticable sounds we recall. Go canal.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:47 AM

I stayed in a B&B on one of A'dam's smaller canals, the Leliesgracht, during a recent trip. It was so quiet at night that you could hear the ducks "talking" to one another as they settled down to sleep. In the mornings, you heard people talking and bicycles passing by - not at all objectionable. I agree that Amsterdam is a suprisingly quiet city once you get out of the core. The advantage of the canals is that there is only one lane of traffic on either side, so that cuts down on the auto noise.
In contrast, I've also stayed closer to the center, where the Amstel River becomes a "canal" of sorts. The view of the city from my hotel room was grand, but there were drunken revelers late at night, and substantial traffic noise from the bridge that I had such a good view of! It didn't spoil my stay or anything like that, but it just goes to show how different the neighborhoods can be.