Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam: Where to Stay? The Old Center or Museumplein

Apr 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam later this year. I expect I'll be spending most evenings at the Concertgebouw with days free. My first thought was to stay near the concert hall but after some research I'm beginning to think The Old Center would make more sense. What are your thoughts? Also, any suggestions on 4 or 5 star hotels in either area would be appreciated. Finally, where does the Canal Ring fit into all this? Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Do you have a map of Amsterdam center..?
The canal ring is like a 'horseshoe' of mostly 3 concentric canals. What you refer to as "old center" lies within the innermost canal. The Concertgebouw is just beyond Museumplein, which is just outside of the outermost canal.
Apr 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM

The central area was the part of Amsterdam I liked least of what I've seen so far. I much preferred the Canal Rings, Leidseplein, and Vondelpark as places to stay.
Apr 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM

There's a charming hotel called the Ambassade on the Herrengracht, prettiest of the canals to some. It is a string of 7-8 houses, so doesn't look like a hotel at all. You get a key to your front door if you're not in the houses with lobby and dining room.

Maybe not to your liking if you want a "grand hotel" feel or a more contemporary feel, but check it out. http://www.ambassade-hotel.nl/eng/
Apr 30th, 2007, 04:18 AM

I would not stay in either the Old Center or the Museumplein. Instead, I would also suggest somewhere right in between the two: namely the canal rings area.
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The Bilderberg Garden Hotel which is described as being in residential area of the “Apollolaan", appeals to me. Any thought on this location. My apologies for asking what may seem to be obvious questions but I am very unfamiliar with Amsterdam.
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Flyer, I just stayed at the Hotel Zandbergen, which is about 2 minutes by tram to the Concertgebouw or about a 10 minute walk through a residential neighborhood. The same tram will get you to any place in the Old Center a few mintues past the museums near the concert hall. We were thrilled with our stay there and would stay there again in a heartbeat. It's a nice, quiet, clean B&B in a residential area.
Apr 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Stayed at Fita Hotel which is like a B and B. Concert Hall can be walked to in 5 minutes from there. Van Gogh Museum at the back of it. You will be given a ticket to the Van Gogh as a bonus for booking. We found this area very good to stay in and the tram to other parts of the city is right there at the Concert Hall.