Another for Morgana please (!)

Mar 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Another for Morgana please (!)

Hello - this will be for Morgana or other Dales experts.I will be leaving York early on a Tuesday afternoon, and must be in N. Wales (near Bangor) by Thursday evening. (My Wales sightseeing will begin on Friday morning.) There seems to be so much to see inbetween...Fountains Abbey, Yorkshire Dales, Haworth and the Bronte moors, etc. I am wondering which route to take in order to see as many of these wonders as possible, and also where to stop for the one overnight en route. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.
(P.S. I previously posted this just on the Euro forum; had no idea you could narrow down your topics like this -- thanks Janisj for letting me know.)
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Sorry - I didn't mean for you to start a new thread. Both of your threads are under "Europe". I just meant I wasn't sure if Morgana cruises the whole forum or just clicks on the UK. But that's OK - no harm, no foul.

Just so she knows what's been discussed so far:

Author: janisj
Date: 03/18/2007, 12:17 pm
Hi - As you can see from Helene's thread - Morgana is off celebrating Mothering Sunday. She'll probably see this when things settle down (my, she sure is popular today )

Anyway, how long are you going to be in York before you leave for Wales? I ask because Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal are quiet close to York and are easily visited from the city. Going there on the Tuesday afternoon would pretty much finish off that day off and you'd only have Wed to tour explore elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: janisj
Date: 03/18/2007, 12:27 pm
one more thing - since you didn't click "United Kingdom" when you posted this, Morgana may not see it. (Don't know if she mostly looks for UK threads or cruises the whole Europe forum) You might want to post a link to this thread on HeleneW's

Something like "Morgana, I posted a silmilar question here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34964877

Would you please take a look and give me some suggestions"

Mar 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

I did click "United Kingdom" when I posted this; on my browser it shows up both under "Forum: Europe" and "Forum: Europe/Topic: United Kingdom". Am I still doing something wrong? (Probably.) Thanks.
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Nope -- ALL threads are lumped together on the only forum there is -- "Europe". Clicking on a country simply lets folks search for some of the threads about that country. (but only about 50-60% of threads show up that way)

Don't worry - that confuses everybody at first (and some who have been around for years)

Morgana is bound to see one of your threads . . . .
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Hi, yes seen it and am considering my response!
Would help me greatly if I knew a little more about your interests, as you are quite right, there's loads to see and I would like to point you in the right direction. Also does the idea of a farm Bed and Breakast appeal for your overnight stay (this is a great and often very inexpensive way of enjoying the countryside and having peace and quiet). Or did you particularly want to stay in a town where you could walk to a restaurant?
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hello, and thanks for responding. As to interests, we love castles and ruins, but I also love rural beauty -- cows, horses, meadows, waterfalls, farmhouses, that sort of thing. I love the Bronte novels but ALSO love James Herriot's books! Haworth sounds like something I want to see, but if the surrounding countryside is too bleak and forbidding, I'm not sure.

As to lodging, either a B&B or a hotel would suit us fine. Budget's a consideration, though. I've been looking at the locations of "Premier Travel Inns" along the route as well.
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

*bump*
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Azzure - haven't forgotten, just madly busy at work right now - no lunchbreaks to respond in!!!. Will reply tomorrow when I will have more time. In the meantime maybe someone else will have some ideas? I've got lots of ideas but it doesn't mean they are the right ones and it would be good if you had some choices.
By the way, the area around Haworth has its own beauty but is wild and often bleak, even in the summer. The Parsonage museum in Haworth itself is excellent, and I will try and build in a visit there as well as letting you see the more pastoral scenery of the Dales (especially the area associated with James Herriot). The rural beauty you describe as liking is much more the typical Dales scenery than the more gritty moorland associated with the Brontes. I'm on the case, don't worry!
M
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! Somebody should be paying you for being such a great Dales ambassador.
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM

Hi
Ok, a suggestion for your trip from York to North Wales. Iíll give you a rough outline of where to go and things to see and you may want to build your own itinerary around it.
(As Janis mentions, I would definitely try and see Fountains Abbey whilst you are staying in York, (and the same goes for Castle Howard and the North Yorkshire Moors, if you have the opportunity).
So, Tuesday afternoon you leave York and make you way to Haworth. The Parsonage Museum stays open until 5.30 in the summer ( 5pm from October). If possible park at the bottom of the village and walk up the steep cobbled street to the Parsonage. Despite the fact it is a tourist draw I still think this place has kept its atmosphere Ė the graveyard with the crows and rooks in the trees outside the Parsonage is creepy! As mentioned before, the Museum is excellent and has a changing exhibit area at the back. You can also drink in the Black Bull, where Branwell used to drink himself into a stupor.
www.bronte.org.uk
Haworth also has a Steam Railway, which may interest you if you have time and would let you see some of the countryside.
www.kwvr.co.uk
East Riddlesden Hall is also close by but doesnít open every day and there wouldnít be enough time to see the Hall and Haworth on the Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scri...PROPERTYID=337 - 38k
On Tuesday night you might want to stay In Haworth itself? There are lots of well priced bed and breakfasts in the village, and an early morning walk the next day when you have the place to yourself, might appeal?
http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/wes..._specialities/
There is a VERY good restaurant with rooms (Weavers) right close to the Parsonage but this may blow your budget. However the food is excellent as is the location, so worth considering.
www.weaversmallhotel.co.uk/default
On Wednesday I would suggest a day exploring the North Yorkshire Dales. Iím going to cheat slightly here and refer you to the Skiptonweb site, which has an excellent Dales drive, starting from Skipton (only a short distance from Haworth). Full details here Ė
http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/...rive/index.htm
I donít think I could better this as a suggestion for a day in the Dales. Youíll want to stop constantly, admiring the views and taking pictures. Be sure to visit Bolton Abbey and Malham Cove Ė highlights on this drive although it is all stunning and will easily take a day.
Rather than loop right back to Skipton at the end of the tour I would finish it at Malham, and stay overnight in the area. It is VERY rural though (but beautiful) so if you are after the bright lights it isnít for you! The village pubs usually do good food if you want dinner. Here are some suggestions.
www.malhamdale.com/malhamcafe.htm
On Thursday you will be heading from the Dales to North Wales, and can take a variety of routes. I donít know this side of the country very well so not sure what route to advise you on, although Chester is well worth a stop.
Hope this helps!
M
Mar 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. This should do the trick!