Tribeca Film Festival

Apr 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Tribeca Film Festival

I'm heading to New York this week and just discovered that the Tribeca Film Festival is on - helps explain the difficulty I had finding a good hotel deal. There is a surprisingly small amount of information regarding the festival beyond the actual web site. I couldn't find any Fodor's posts at all. Is there anything I should know, i.e., are there best areas to hang out to check out the "other than the movie" stuff - people watching, related activities? And are there areas to be avoided due to crowding, etc? I guess with the focus obviously being on the movies perhaps the festival is pretty contained to the theatres but I'm curious about how far the festival atmosphere spreads out beyond that.
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
J62

janette,

this is a common misconception regarding Fodors forums. When you post a new message you specify "New York" but when any message gets posted it gets dumped into the big USA forum.

If someone is specifically searching for NY threads, they will only see your one NY post.

The rest of us who just look under USA will see your duplicate posts (with no mention of the original Fodors NY link)

Someone is bound to get on your case. Don't take it personally - just be aware next time around.
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks J62. This is always an issue for me. Right now if I "search this forum (us)" for the words "New York" or "Tribeca" (which are in my post) I don't see my post - that is why I double posted. If I want my post to show if someone searches the forum for "New York" how should I post?
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
J62

j

I'm not a Fodors expert, but if you put New York and Tribeca in the header that should suffice for searches. Selecting the NY search option when first posting may also provide a link.

Many Fodors posters just view the US or other forum, for their (or my) own entertainment, learning, curiosity, or to post a reply if I have some info to share.

I suspect people won't actually search for Tribeca seeking to post a reply, but will stumble upon your thread in the big US forum itself.

I know I don't actively seek out threads to reply to - I just read what catches my eye and go from there.
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again J62. Very bizarre - I see a post topic "Anyone seen Sweet Charity?" It doesn't have "New York" in its title or in the post but it still shows up if I search for New York. For one of my posts I specified New York and neither one of my posts show up if I do a search for New York.

Maybe there's a delay on it hitting specific posts - I just remembered - I think the last time I did the annoying "double post" I ended up seeing them both in the New York search the following day.

Oh well - hopefully I'll get a reply or two. Thanks again for your help.
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Janette, that Sweet Charity post comes up when you specify New York, because the person clicked New York when she posted it. That helps in terms of searching by a state.

There does seem to be a delay though after posting a new topic before it comes up on the search function at all.
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM

The Tribeca Film Festival is a huge, poorly organized event. Most tickets available to the general public quickly sell out (to AMEX cardholders, who get first dibs).

I'd suggest that there are no "best areas" to hang out to see the non-movie stuff.

If you're interested in film festivals, come back to NYC next year for the GenArt event. It's well-organized and you'll get to see & hear the filmmakers talk about their movies (like Kevin Bacon this year, talking about "Loverboy").
Apr 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM
GoTravel

The Tribeca Film Festival was originally organized post September 11th to send much needed business to downtown Manhattan.

Hollywood takes Manhattan.

Apr 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Just FYI...if you're looking for tix to the Tribeca Film Festival, you might want to check craigslist.com in the NYC area--click on "tickets"--I saw some postings on there yesterday from people selling theirs.
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:09 AM

janette, I noticed last year some of the people involved with the festival were "hanging" at the Tribeca Grand Hotel. They have a cool lobby bar anyway which would be fun to see. I think any of the hot Tribeca restaurants (especially those owned by R. De Niro) will be crowded-Nobu, Tribeca Grill.
Apr 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. The festival wasn't our reason for going to NY but it will be fun to check out your suggestions Mclaurie and maybe do a bit of celeb sightings. We were able to get tickets to Beautiful Country through the festival website and that's probably the only movie we'll check out this trip.

I'll try to remember to post my impression of my exposure (limited it will be) to the festival when I get back.