Amsterdam in a day

Search

Amsterdam in a day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam in a day

My husband and I are going to Amsterdam tomorrow. Hoping to see as much of the city as possible, taking a canal ride seeing the Jordaan area, the Red light district and of course the cafes. Which are the best cafes and will I be intimidated if I ask about the weed there available. What do I need to know? Any tips are appreciated since this will all be new and I'm sure eye opening. Thank you.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Hi.

Please be advised that cannabis establishments are coffeehouses, not "cafes". I suggest you go to channels.nl and check out the forum for answers to many of your questions. There is also a link for coffeehouse reviews.

No need to feel intimidated. Just ask for a menu and select whatever strikes you. (You may largely disregard the endless chatter about all the different types and effects. It's just dope.)

Have a nice trip (NPI).
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

P.S. They are also called "coffeeshops"
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM

In a nutshell, go in and ask to see the "menu" (which may well be "samples" rather than something on a printed page).

You can ask the person about strengths, etc., but you might want to read up in advance about some of these substances.

Various products are usually offered at various prices.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Different coffeeshops have quite different atmosphere - note, coffeeshop is the correct term rather than cafe or coffeehouse. Some may seem a bit intimidating - like anywhere when you step into an extremely local place and are clearly an outsider, not about the pot - others have a more open atmosphere. There's places catering to younger, older, various music, more casual, more serious, etc.

Bulldog right on the square in Leidseplein is pretty main stream. The Rookies on a side street nearby is low-key pool-playing kind of place. Let's Go Amsterdam 2002 guidebook has excellent listings of coffeeshops by neighborhood, but since you leave tomorrow am guessing you won't have time to pick it up. As far as asking what's available, no need to be intimiated about that part, it's what the place is all about.