Amsterdam Coffee Shops

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Coffee Shops

My wife and I plan to partake in several and want to solicit some advice about good ones, ripoffs. Has anyone purchase "guaranteed" female seeds? If so how did they turn out. Are Space cakes strong or a tourist scam? Are most coffee shops located in one spot or are they spread all over the city. We are also looking for a couple of bar recommendations for live music in the Leidseplein or Spuistraat. Thanks in advance
Tom
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM

Well it's been a few years since I went in for this sort of thing butů.

I'm not aware of any particularly bad ones. As to the good ones - that's a matter of taste. Some sell alcohol, some don't some have music, some don't etc. There's not much difference in the quality of the stock or the prices

I've never bought seeds (and in any case I could buy them legally in the UK if I wanted to have a big smelly bush in my house).

Most of the coffeshops that cater for tourist have voluntarily stopped selling space cakes as the tourists found them far too powerful. Unless you're used to them I would avoid. In general I would be cautious with all the products as they tend to be rather more potent than you may be used to.

Also remember that only dope is decriminalised (it ISN'T illegal), other stuff could get you into trouble.

And yes - they're all over the place. Google is your friend.

Audere - now very much a few pints of real ale sort of dude. Dude.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM

Sensi Seeds is the gold standard of Amsterdam seed purveyors - ask them that question - right next to Hash Museum in the redlight district. I have experience patronizing coffeeshops but not with growing. Many other seed shops but Sensi has the best reputation.
You can also sample magic mushrooms a la Willie Nelson in several legal "Energy Shops" which sell hallucinogenic shrooms from all over the world.

audere et facere: In the City of Amsterdam Historical Museum's display on coffeeshop history they say the Mayor of Amsterdam "legalized" consumption of cannabis products inside coffeeshops but not outside, where it is only decriminalized and de factolly legal.

The display said that this results in a back door front door conundrum, where it's illegal to bring pot into the coffeeshop, legal to sell it and smoke it inside but illegal to take it out.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM
MaureenB

The Paradiso is a favorite music venue in Amsterdam. I think it's near Leidesplein, but I could be wrong.

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rookies, off Leidseplein is a low-key pool playing kind of one. Bull Dog is more touristed one.

They are sprinkled throughout the city, not just in one area.

I found the guidebook Let's Go Amsterdam helpful and accurate for "only in Amstserdam" type topics. Down-to-earth with decent listing of different areas of the city and maps showing locations. Good write-ups including type of atmosphere to expect.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM

The Paradisio is a very acclaimed concert venue....for a young crowd - it's a neat place, yes just off the Leidesplein --- an old church that was taken over by the city of Amsterdam in the 70s or 60s and made into a youth-oriented concert hall.

Today it attracts top international concerts but again with what is popular with a 20s age group.

The Melwkweg (Milky Way), just off the other side of the Leidesplein has a similar history - an old warehouse on a canal taken over in the 70s or 60s as a youth centre - has concerts with top pop groups as well as nice cafe and food, movie theatre, neat tea house...it gained renown in the 80s when it was once of the first places to sell hash openly - no longer because of the plethora of coffeeshops but folks still smoke cannabis at will in both venues. Holland's no-smoking laws have yet to be passed.

Both are excellent concert venues for a youngish crowd - Melkweg perhaps attracts a slightly older and more off-beat crowd.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM

Dear sarantom,

I would avoid the Grasshopper and any of the Bulldog coffeshops. In general, I found the places in and around downtown/Red Light District to be either disappointing or a little creepy.

I loved hanging out in the coffeeshops in the Canal District or other neighborhoods. One that is easy to find is La Tertulia on the Prinsengracht. It's very close to the Anne Frank House. Run by a mother and daughther team, its appearance is much like any friendly cafe or small restaurant, except for the "other" menu. It's a comfy, friendly place with a pretty little indoor garden.

The place called Siberie is also pretty easy to find, on the Brouwersgracht. Great for people-watching.

My first visit to an Amsterdam coffeeshop gave me some insight into reefer etiquette as told to me by the kind bar/bud-tender: Don't smoke on the street or in any public place in general. Be cool if you want to light up in a park, say before going into the Rijksmuseum - don't do it if you are around a playground, etc. The Amsterdam police have the attitude that you have a place to smoke legally (the coffeeshops), so confine your activities accordingly. And in general, keep your deameanor low-key while under the effects.

And of course, keep in mind that Nederwiet (Dutch-grown weed) is POTENT. Don't go overboard, and I would not recommend ingesting spacecakes, spaceshakes or the like - very unpredictable in effect.

"Have fun, stay safe" is what the (cute, blond) customs agent said to me with a wink the first time I came through Schipol. I think his advice was spot-on

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM

"Have fun, stay safe" is what the (cute, blond) customs agent said to me with a wink the first time I came through Schipol. >>>>>>>

Does anyone else have a mental image of the Harry Enfield Dutch policemen now?
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM

There are two that come to mind but I don't remember where they are. You can google them. 1 is Smokey's, coffee shop and bar and the other is the Mellow Yellow. Have fun!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM

Mellow Yellow is one of the oldest coffeeshops in Amsterdam - by the train station isn't it?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Coffeeshops in the tourist centre of town are often accused of having higher prices per gram or lacking quality control over what you're actually buying.

Locals avoid these places as tourist traps.

One highly reputable coffeeshop right in the heart of everything is Dampring, Handboogstraat 29 (www.dampkring.nl) which though attracts tourists in the know is mainly patronized by Dutch potheads.

Prices here are significantly better than most shops in the centre and you can probably be sure of getting what you paid for.

The Cannabis Cup, held every November in Amsterdam, is organized by High Times Magazine, which invites coffeeshops to enter their prize-winning buds - hundreds of mainly Yanks come to town and buy a ticket to spend a few days sampling the wares and giving prizes. (How you can sample well after the first few samples i don't know, but)

But, the Dampring used to participate in this circus but famously opted out a few years ago saying it was a charade and since has refused to participate, saying it had 'higher' principles.

The Dampkring actually appears as a setting in the film Oceans 11 - photos inside to prove it.

At the Dampkring you know you can't go wrong with the value for what you're getting IMO.

The Dampkring is very close to Spui and just off the main shopping drag.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM

You should follow your nose. I walked from the train station to Anne Franks house and walked by several good smelling coffee shops
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I haven't been in a while, but my sister and liked a little locals place called The Rookies, which we visited on both our trips there. It sold maryjane and alcohol. Also had a pool table. In fact, my sister went back with her then boyfriend a couple of years later and got engaged outside. http://www.channels.nl/amsterdam/rookies.html
http://www.rookies.nl/
Looks like they are expanding.

As for Space cakes, ate one back in '89 and ended passing out in my hostel for a full 18 hours. Be careful.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rookies has cute little "to-go" cases!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM

What's a spacecake?

This thread is giving me ideas for my 50th b-day. Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM

A "spacecake" is a confection of some sort that contains hashish. It can be a cookie or a soft bonbon or other shape. The problem is that there is no way to accurately gauge the strength of the active product contained therein. People have been known to get very sick or just very uncomfortable (both mentally and physically) after ingestion. It's also hard to predict when the effects are likely to hit. I would avoid them.