Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Views better of Bellagio or from Bellagio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Jean's answer and now I've lost it totally even with a Search. But I'm willing to get all opinions.

We'll have 3 nites in that area and I'm wondering where we should stay, need a nice hotel with a good view and air conditioning! Would also be nice to get a hotel that's conveniently located for ferries and train (is it possible to get a train from Lakes district to Venice?) The view is better from Bellagio??

Almost forgot, on our last day, we'd like to take a train (car ??) ride up to Switzerland and spend most of the day. That is possible to do from the Lakes district? Maybe need a different train from Trentalia? Lake Lugano is a good place to head for, for a short time? I'd love to get your help. Thx.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Neopolitan

Hard to say which is the better view. I love the views from right by the water in Bellagio where you look way out in two directions to two of the widest branches of the lake. Our views (yes, make that plural) from our balcony at the Metropole was nothing short of amazing. The drawback was that only their lower floor rooms have air-conditioning, but for us in June that was no problem. In fact we had to close the French doors at night as it got too cool right over the water.

And yes, we took the ferry over to Varenna at 9:25, then the train to Venice with a simple change in Milan.

One day we also took the ferry over to Menaggio, and then took the bus to Lugano for the day.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM

For the ultimate convenience with the ferries there are only three towns to condsider: Bellagio, Menaggio and Varenna. They are no more than fifteen minutes apart by ferry. These towns form a triangle and during the day there is almost always a ferry coming, going or crossing.

Varenna is the only one of the three with rail service, but Menaggio has bus service. The buses head both to the north and also to Lugano, Switzerland. From Varenna, I believe that you can take the train to Chiavenna, and then take the very nice Swiss Postal Bus service to Soglio and possibly St Moritz.

As to Varenna vs Bellagio VS Menaggio:

To many travelers, Varenna still feels very much like an old Italian fishing village. The typical evening crowd by the lakefront is a few dozen people.

Bellagio caters successfully to the tourists. It is glamorous with I think three lake front, alfresco eateries. Plus many indoor restaurants, hotels and lots of tourist shops. From what I hear on this board the August crowds in Bellagio can be formidable.

Menaggio seems to be a contemporary Italian town, has a supermarket etc. It also has a very nice lake front promenade and nice hotel acccomodations.

I hope that this helps.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
rex

From http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34872172

Author: Jean
Date: 09/21/2006, 10:49 pm

Hotel du Lac in Varenna because I like the view OF Bellagio better than the view FROM Bellagio.

Best wishes,

Rex

p.s. - - note that your posting of "a question for Jean (or anyone)" forces anybody/everybody to have to open the posting to find out what it's about. Such a vague message header should really be avoided.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM

I would like to second the idea of going to Soglio by train from Varenna to Chiavenna and then taking the post bus. It is a stunningly beautiful journey, and Soglio itself is in an incomparable setting.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Neopolitan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from Varenna you really don't get much of a view of Bellagio which mainly faces out the other way. You do see the point of the "peninsula" and a few buildings on the "back side" of Bellagio, though.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Neo,

I'm sure you're right - from the Varenna side of the lake what you see is Pescallo (where "La Pergola" is) rather than Bellagio itself.

In fact, I agree with your point in your earlier post - Bellagio's position on the central promentory means that you get two views for the price of one. From the main town you can see the western branch of the lake & if you walk up the hill past the Belvedere you can get a wonderful view of the eastern branch. Or take the short walk to La Punta & take it all in in one glorious vista.

Jim