Will I be sorry if I don't stay in Bellagio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a three day trip to Lake Como. I read that Varenna is a more convenient choice because it is easily accessed by train.<BR><BR>I've always wanted to visit Bellagio. Will I be sorry if we stay in Varenna and day trip to Bellagio. Is Bellagio much more beautiful, and is there much more to do there?<BR><BR>HELP!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Have you considered Mennagio as a base for Lake Como? There are a couple of direct buses from Malpensa, if that is where you will be arriving. Otherwise, you can change buses at Como, and Como-Menaggio services are faily frequent. We are leaning toward making Mennagio our base and making Bellagio a day trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:16 AM

I think it's a tossup. Bellagio is just a ten minute ferry ride across the lake. Be sure to check the schedule (there's a website; do a Google or Yahoo search for Lake Como ferry or something like that), but I believe they run well into the evening, so you can spend as much time as you want in Bellagio. I've done it in reverse: stayed in Bellagio and ferried to Varenna. Varenna has beautiful views and much else to recommend it, and many people prefer to stay there. In Varenna I loved visiting the Villa Monastero, and my hike up to Castello Vezio.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM
GAC

Whether you decide to stay overnight in Bellagio, Varenna or Menaggio, you'll be enchanted by the exquisite beauty of the &quot;Centro Lago&quot; of Lago di Como. I don't think that staying in Bellagio itself is the first priority. Ferries connect all three towns every 20-30 minutes. Bellagio tends to be a little more expensive than the other two, but public transport to both Varenna and Menaggio is slightly better. From Menaggio, you can even take a bus to Lugano (in Switzerand) for a day trip, and there is a direct bus to Malpensa airport leaving at 6:25 a.m (two hours). Rather, choose a good hotel with good views and preferably air conditioning if going during the summer.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I'll agree with the previous posters. The ferry service between the towns is so convenient and easy that it really doesn't make any difference. You'll still be able to enjoy Bellagio Varenna (and other towns as well) no matter which of the two you stay in.<BR>The advantage to Bellagio is that you'll have a lot more choices for dining and shopping.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM

We stayed in Bellagio after a lot of &quot;soul searching&quot; and were very glad we did. It is true that all those central lake towns are easily reached back and forth, so in the daytime it is a tossup where you stay. Ironically Bellagio is the busiest in the day so if you want to avoid crowds it sort of makes sense to stay there and go away from it in the daytime rather than the other way around. But we went over to Varnenna after dinner one night and found it absolutely eerie. There wasn't a soul out (this was the first week of September), but back in Bellagio, the streets were lively -- cafes were open for drinks or coffee out on the water. It just has so much more ambiance, particularly in the evenings. <BR><BR>On the other hand I don't do well with solitude. I also don't appreciate a quiet country villa at night, so it depends on what you like.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. I think we'll stay in Bellagio because we like a more active night life.<BR><BR>I am concerned about getting to Bellagio, if we take the train and a ferry. How close is the Ferry to the Train Station. We'll have luggage. Also will it be hard to take the luggage on the ferry?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM
GAC

If you are arriving at Malpensa airport, you can take the SPT Como Malpensa Express Airporter Bus (1 hour) and connect at the Como City Bus Station to the local SPT Bus Line C30 to Bellagio (65 minutes). If you are arriving in Como City by train from Milan, you can also take Bus Line C30 to Bellagio from directly outside the train station. For schedules, see<BR>www.sptcomo.it<BR>&quot;Orari&quot;<BR>&quo t;Speciale Malpensa&quot; <BR>&quot;Orari Extraurbani&quot; <BR>&quot;C30 Como-Bellagio&quot;
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM

inor,<BR> From the train stop in Varenna you walk down a winding slope/street to the lakeside where the ferry departs. Very easy down and not very much worse back up. It's a very short distance. Luggage on the ferry is not problem whatsoever. This is all based, of course, on the idea that you can move your luggage without assistance--no porters or Red Caps in the scenario!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 02:06 PM

We drove to Bellagio, so I'm no expert, but in talking with a number of people who have arrived there different ways, I think my choice would be to take the train to Varenna as coco mentions, and then the ferry across to Bellagio. Those ferries are very frequent, unlike the ones going all the way up from Como, and I don't think I'd enjoy the bus ride -- the car trip once was enough for me!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:59 AM

Patrick,<BR>Could you elaborate a little on the driving to Bellagio? Why was it 'once is enough'?<BR>Thank you. <BR>Elizabeth
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM

<BR><BR>Hi everyone,<BR>Planning visit in Bellagio early March and wondering if there are B&amp;B accomodations in people's homes like in the rest of Europe at train stations?<BR>Or is this area too tres chic for this type on accomodation. We are trying to keep expenses low and also, we like to stay with the people and see how they live.<BR>Any suggestions for a home stay, B&amp;B, or inexpensive hotel? Don't need fancy?<BR>Thanks.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I've been to Lake Como about a dozen times and have stayed in Varenna, Cernobbio, and Menagio, but NOTHING compares to Bellagio. Trust me, you will be missing out if you don't stay there. Although Menagio and Varenna do certainly have their charms, they are not in the same league as Bellagio. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Yes! I also agree, Verana was a little too quiet for me. We drove to Bellagio from Malpensa and got very good advice from this board-go up the east side of the lake and take the car ferry over. It was a piece of cake. I am a nervous driver and found it better than HWY 1 in California. Enjoy! You are in for such a treat!<BR>Diane
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM

We drove up the east side of the center peninsula directly into Bellagio. I navigate, my partner did the driving. The road was very narrow in places, including stone guardrails at times on curves that barely allowed two cars to pass, yet we were constantly meeting cars from the other direction flying around those blind curves at us. Then we'd get behind someone going 10 miles an hour and stopping to look, but we couldn't get around them.<BR>We've driven the Amalfi coast, all over Corsica, Highway 1 north of San Francisco, and many others. My partner felt this was the most &quot;tense&quot; drive he's ever had to do.<BR>I think I misunderstood the original suggestion by others. They meant go up on the east side of the lake (to Varenna) as mentioned just above, not up the east side of the center peninsula.<BR>On return, we took the ferry across and drove down the west side of the lake and that was a piece of cake.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:08 PM

My wife and I stayed in Belagio last July. It was beautiful and I recommend staying there. Drive to Varenna was no problem. Then take the car ferry to Bellagio. When you drive off the ferry you can find places to park.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Patrick or Lake Districtexperts: was the driving similar to Ireland's back roads? We are renting a car in Milan after training from Nice to Santa Margherita Ligure...then a train to Milan with a car pick up at the train station. We thought that renting a car was the best way to see the Lake region. Do you think so? We are staying 3 nights in Bellagio(the Belvedere), and 3 nights in Stresa(Villa Aminta) dropping the car at Malpensa airport. Any input would be appreciated. TIA, Judy
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Hey Judy--That sounds like a perfect trip--2 or my favs. Yes, you will need a car. Be sure to day trip to Lago Orta, and spend some time in Lugano as you transition. Take the route thru Locarno and Ascona to Stresa. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Sorry, but the driving is NOTHING like Ireland--thank God ! You will not have a problem--all good roads. But, do not drive all the way to Bellagio on the inner route--that is bad. Catch the car ferry near Tremezzo to Bellagio.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Now I hope I haven't thrown a curve with my original comment about the drive to Bellagio. As I have mentioned we apparently did the wrong route, going up the east side of the center peninsula (or you could say the road on the west side of the east arm of the lake). As others have said, the best route is probably up the actual west side of the lake itself, into Varennna, and then the ferry over to Bellagio.<BR>Driving the little road we were on was worse than most roads in Ireland, but it was the exception to the rule!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -