Bellagio, Menaggio, or Varenna????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a group of 4 friends who are trying to decide which town on Lake Como to visit for 3-4 days in the first week of June (2009). All of the travellers will be 29-32 years old, very active, enjoy good food (not foodies- it can be basic or low key, but like good food, good wine, and good beer), and good times. Which town, Bellagio, Menaggio, or Varenna will provide the best combination of views, activities, a little relaxation, and fun??? They will all have been in Tuscany for several days before that and are set on the Lakes District.

I have never been to the Lakes District, but have done some prelim research for them (and read several threads on this forum). However, I knew the Fodorites could advise them on this decision!! Thanks!
Shormk2
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to add, that they'll probably take the train into Como or Varenna and then ferry to their next locale. They have not planned on renting a car... Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM

Using the trains, Varenna is your best choice as an entry point, but I would look at an apt. in Bellagio for that group. Look at La Limonera. More to do in Bellagio.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM

I've stayed at both Bellagio and Varenna and liked them both equally, Varenna is a tad more quieter and it's pretty easy to get back and forth from Bellagio via the ferry. I would choose Varenna based on the train station being there and it's less crowded than Bellagio.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM

First of all the views are good from ALL THREE..same lake, different viewpoints.

Menaggio is the largest of the three "towns" and the most spread out. It's central 'town square" area isn't as picturesque as the one over in Ballagio which has a lot more upscale shopping, more restaurants, more hotels, etc.

Varenna is mush more like a "typical" almost stereotypical Itaalian small town...fewer shopping opportunities, quieter than Bellagio.

The Varenna ferry dock is no more than a ten-minute walk, all downhill, from the railroad station and you can at least walk that; to get to some, but not all, the hotles in Varenna might require a taxi as the town is hilly.

You are just going to have to PICK a place and then GO there....in your case I would go to Bellagio. It is hard to explain these things to those who haven't actually been there but even if you went to less- than-favored-nation-status amongst Fodorites and almost-on-another- planet Menaggio you'd probably not regret it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

Since people who are 30ish sometimes like to stay out a little bit later than others -
#1) Varenna has a wonderful, small fishing village feel. It has a year-round population of about 700. It does not have a multitude of bars.
#2) The boat service on Lake Como stops around dusk/dark. There might not be a boat to get your friends back after 11:00pm.
#3) Bellagio has at least two wine bars and a multitude of restaurants and cafes.

Based on their wanting some 'fun'. I would recommend Bellagio.

Also, Bellagio is pretty much the hub for all of the boat service in the mid alke area.

For a diversion, Pescallo is a nice, small, lake-side, village a short walk from Bellagio.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank for all the info! It definitely seems like Bellagio will be more of their speed, but I'll recommend that they ferry over and check out Menaggion and Vareena (and report back on their findings for my own future reference)... I checked out the apartments and La Limonera and they look very nice and affordable... I've also r4ead good things on this forum about Hotel Metropole... would the rest of you recommend these two suggestions as well????
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

We stayed at Hotel Du lac in Bellagio it was very nice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

I would definitely stay in Varenna but Bellagio may be more suitable for your friends. The Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is really very nice in Bellagio. Metropole is fine too if it is lower in price than the Hotel du Lac. The serbelloni is almost worth the splurge; it is truly far above all the other hotels.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hotel v. apartment is a personal choice. "Very active" travellers might prefer the atmosphere of their own apartment(s).

There are many "activities" options out of Bellagio. Look at:

http://www.bellagio.co.nz/

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Hi there --

In June, boats should run later than dusk. The current schedule (that is good until mid-May) shows boats going in to the 11:00 hour. Here is a link for you to pass along to your pals:

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html

Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

The latest boat that I see is Bellagio to Varenna at 10:20pm.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM

No comparison. An apt. has a frig and kitchen and rooms. More convenient for a group of 4.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM

Apologies... it is 10:20. However, that's well past dusk. =)

Big_Red, with this schedule running to the end of May, is it safe to assume that they'll increase service in summer months?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi shormk2; Consider Hotel Florence in Bellagio. There is a VERY large terrace, just above the reception area with 'ajoining rooms', both leading to the terrace. Perfect for four people. It looks out over the lake and with 'wine/food' in hand is wonderfull. We hope to be there again in May of 2009. ENJOY Iris
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM

I vote for Bellagio. We stayed in Varenna simply because it was more quiet and being older than your group it suited us perfectly. I think Bellagio would have more "life" for you. Make sure you visit Varenna though, it is gorgeous. Take lots of photos from the ferry as you approach, these are the best views. Take photos in the morning as in the afternoon it can become very hazy over the lake. In my opinion Menaggio was for the over 60's plus!!!! bring cane and zimmer frame!!! (I know others will disagree, but that was my opinion whilst we were there)

Lake Como, you will love it!!
Schnauzer
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM

H_Locke,

I guess that the summer schedule adds a few boats, but I don't think the last boat is any later.

We are planning to go to Lake Como in May and have been before, so I have studied those schedules. Obviously, if you are having dinner and your hotel is in another town, you have to make your dinner plans around the boat schedule. And the custom in Italy is that dinner is later, which does not help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

A couple of things: I would look on TripAdvisor for reviews since you'll get a lot more points of view.

At that time, A/C may not be an issue for you but it is for some of us..not all places lakeside have it.

Have you considered the Belvedere in Bellagio?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I forwarded the bellagio website (referenced by Jean) and the website for the apartments on to my friends. I'm not sure which hotels they "clicked" on from the website, but I don't think the Belvedere was listed. I just googled it and it looks great- seems to have a nice position, perched on the hillside; however, it seems a bit pricier than the Du Lac, Metropole, or Hotel Florence... in your opinion is it worth the few euros more than the others?

They are still considering the apartment- one of the larger ones with a view. Not sure what's better for the 3 or 4 night stay? We all tend to like apartments/villas/houses when we travel (I've travelled with this group a lot)- nice to have a kitchen etc... but that is usually when we're there for a week... not sure if the 3-4 nights would really make that much of a difference... if they stay 4, they'd probably lean towards an apartment, but 3, well, that's a toss up. Oh, and of the 4 of them- 2 of them are a couple (but still fun) and the other 2 are single... not sure if that makes a difference... Thanks for all the advice! I'm definitely advising (note: I used advice and advise correctly for you fodorite grammar police) that they go to Bellagio- and then ferry over to Vareena or Menaggio for lunch or dinner or drinks... thanks for the ferry schedule as well- I'll let them know unless they want to be stuck, they better make it back on the last ferry. Suggestions for restaurants, cocktails w/ a great vista, etc????
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi shormk2; If you are looking for an apartment in Bellagio, consider bellagiosangiacomo.com ENJOY Iris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -