Coffeeshop in Amsterdam

Search

Coffeeshop in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffeeshop in Amsterdam

any recommendations for bars or coffeeshops in Amsterdam? My husband and I are visiting for 4 days. We are interested in a lively place, but not party central.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM

Our favorite coffeeshop is the Bluebird, located on St. Antoniobreestraat. You will find there are coffeeshops everywhere you look, so many to choose from. Here's a website that might help you...

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Enjoy your time in Amsterdam, and remember to always use discretion. Peace.

Robyn >-
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:27 AM

A popular one with British tourists (and me when I was younger) is the Grasshopper. It's bigger than usual and has the usual goods on offer, but it's a laid back place that is mainly for a younger english-speaking clientele.

Enjoy it - but a word of warning - some of the local produce is MUCH stronger than you would be used to - so handle with care!

I'm too old and grumpy for this sort of thing nowadays and the last thing I need is something that's going to make me want to eat even more crappy food!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:12 AM

I really like the Rusland at 16 Rusland opposite the Radisson SAS Hotel. Very friendly, laid back with a sort of Moroccan decor.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to pick up a guidebook, I found Let's Go Amsterdam was an excellent resource about coffeeshops and other 'only in amsterdam' topics.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Rusland, along with the Bulldog, was one of the very first coffeeshops and has a stirling reputation.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM

My recommendation is de Dampkring..Nice atmosphere, friendly service and nice decor..But there are tons of others..

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dampweb/

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Dampkring appeared in Oceans Eleven, the film. It has some of the cheapest prices in Amsterdam and a favorite with locals.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM

ttt
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Some of my fondest memories of Amsterdam are finding small coffee shops that perfectly suit the mood you're in. I really hate the prominate places in that all the tourists go to (Bulldog, Grasshoper, etc). You're purchases there are usually prepackaged and boring. Better to find place off the beaten track were you hear people actually speaking Dutch, and were the menu offerings are weighed out when you order.

A couple of examples of places I enjoyed -

Amnesia - I stumbled on this neighborhood place while wondering the Jordaan area. The inside was bright and full of freindly locals. There was some great groove/trans music playing. They also had seating outside along the canal.

Abraxus - in a small alley just south of Dam square. We found this while waiting for our dinner reservations at the Super Club (highley recommended). The place had a rastefarian vibe with incredably helpful staff.

Name unknown - our favorate place is a bar/coffeeshop (most coffeeshops don't sell alcohol, this one does), that we found in an alley off Dam square on our first visit. The place is always choke full of locals, has a pool table, full bar and the most helpful staff I've encountered in Amsterdam. They even have a microscope that you can use to check the quality of your purchases. I never have been able to remember the name and each visit end up wondering around for a while before I find the place again - but that's part of the fun!

Enjoy
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM

oban: your description of name unknown coffeeshop sure sounds like de Kuil although I'd describe it as right off Damrak not Dam Square.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Hijacked Thread in Progress ....

Although I would love to travel to Amsterdam, this thread highlights one of my concerns. I am 49 years old, did all the drugs you can think of 30 years ago, and have no political or moral issue with anyone smoking dope in Amsterdam in the coffee shops.

However, since I am far removed from that culture, and only want to visit coffee shops to drink coffee and watch the world go by, how can my wife and I go about this in Amsterdam and not find ourselves where we don't want to be? make sense?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM

dwzemens,

Go to "Cafes" not "Coffeeshops"! You will have no problem in confusing the two.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks Digital. That is about as simple an clear answer as I can get, isn't it? Any other suggestions on Amsterdam? We plan on spending three nights there in September.

Dave
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Larry - You're right about the name of the place. My freinds and I just refer to it as the "420" since they have a sign to that effect in the window.

And you're also right about the location. No wonder I have such a hard time finding it each trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:44 PM

dwzemens, you'd need to seek out coffeeshops. you won't find yourself in one by accident (unless you're really asleep at the wheel). it's not like everyone's walking around Amsterdam smokin' a big one. there's loads of normal bars, taverns, cafes, restaurants, etc. that have nothing to do with the other.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM

dwzemens, also you might want to start a new thread with your own Amsterdam questions. since this one is specifically about coffeeshops and that's one thing you're specifically not interested in.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Believe me, you'll SMELL the difference!

I'm 58 and highly recommend Bluebird (pun intended). The cake was very good and we were able to take it out and enjoy it in the privacy of our hotel room.

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Try a coffeeshop called Amnesia. Not sure of the address but you can Google it. Small shop, great atmosphere, good music, full of locals. We chose this location because of the organically grown selections they offer.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Coffeeshop vs koffeeshop. A "coffeshop" is centered around legal sales of marijuana or hashish - a "koffeeshop" is a legitimate coffeeshop, centered around a caffeine buzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -