Reload this Page >

Best Coffeeshop in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Bud

What is the best coffeshop in amsterdam? Why?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Coffeeshops

To me it's was not a matter of finding the absolute best, I simply frequented various ones convenient in the neighborhood I was staying (near Leidseplein). You will find your Bud etc. no problem. But the many many shops have very different atmospheres... casual or intense, pooltables/pinball, open air or underground, young crowd or mixed, huge or tiny. And each with a different selection of products. I liked The Rookies alot.<BR><BR>"Let's Go Amsterdam" guidebook has a fairly comprehensive listing of what's what & where by district.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:31 PM
TC

Greenhouse Tolstraat.<BR><BR>Great bud (regular CC winners). Great atmosphere. Not full of tourists (it's on the south side of the city). And they sell beer.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:38 PM
curtis

I just returned from Amsterdam, lots of great coffeeshops, it all depends on what you want, I really enjoyed Baba, great atmosphere and people watching,<BR>quality selection with good suggestions.<BR>Cum Laude? was a nice small out of the way shop that had the best cakes! Grey area has some great quality, but so over crowded with younger backpackers and real attitude from the help, but the best buds in my opinion.<BR>Walk around and window shop a few, you will find many that suit your taste.<BR>Enjoy and smoke one for me.....

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Randy

Here is a link that will give you a list to check out before you go. Check out the Dolphin, it has something that we are going to look into on our next trip ~ The CannaBoat! <BR><BR>http://www.coffeeshop-guide.com/main.asp

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Kindman

Alot of great shops, I enjoyed them all, each for different reasons, I agree with curtis that grey area has the most potent weed, and baba is a relaxing spot, go out be an adventurist.<BR>Smoke it all and enjoy!!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
grass

I'm partial to the Grey Area (on Oude Leliestraat near the Singel Canal) and Dampkring. If you want plenty of space to find a seat while smoking (and a pool table, if that piques your interest), your ought to visit the Bulldog at Leidesplein. Just bring grass from elsewhere and buy a drink there to be polite.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Grasshopper

I'm not a &quot;coffeeshop&quot; kinda person but I would really like to have one of those &quot;Grasshopper&quot; t-shirts.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Hera

<BR>In this order:<BR><BR>Siberie<BR>Dutch Flowers<BR>Paradox<BR>Stix<BR>De Tweede Kamer<BR>Abraxas<BR>Rusland<BR>De Kuil

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Hera

<BR><BR>And you asked why:<BR><BR>great music<BR>friendly, informative staff<BR>superior merchandise<BR>creative decor<BR>locals go as well as tourists<BR>the drinks are lovely<BR>great atmosphere<BR>good locations

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:17 PM
jj

Nobody likes the Bulldog?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
mikele

Hera, or anyone else in the know -<BR><BR>I'm looking forward to visiting one of the more low-key, neighborhood-type coffeeshops. Is food served, other than bar-type snacks, at any of them? It would be so nice and civilized to have a light meal and then sit with your coffee, dessert and doobie. Sigh, I'm day-dreaming about my upcoming trip!

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:05 PM
topper

ttt

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:01 AM
tippytop

The masses are waiting to know....

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Hera

<BR>Dear Mikele,<BR><BR>I don't think there are any coffeeshops which do full meals, but Barney's on Haarlemmerstraat do all-day breakfasts of many varieties. They open very early in the morning too, around 7.00, I think, but they close around 8.30pm. <BR><BR>Paradox do healthy snacks and great fruitshakes, but again nothing like a full meal.<BR><BR>There is indeed a gap in the market here, or maybe there is some legal reason that coffeeshops can not also be restaurants. Who knows.<BR><BR>However, plenty of excellent coffeeshops are close to plenty of excellent restaurants, so my solution is to have a little smoke and a fruit juice then nip into a restaurant for the works, then maybe back to the same or a different coffeeshop for a top-up and a good coffee afterwards. Always works delightfully for me!<BR><BR>Have a great holiday in Amsterdam. Are you going there soon? Lucky you!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
selena

get a boook called &quot;Get Lost, the cool guide to Amsterdam.&quot; It will answer alot of your questions and it is a hoot !!!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 08:46 AM
bud

ttt

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Larry

there's reviews, maps and pictures of most of the shops mentioned here at http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/