Amsterdam canal boat rides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Amsterdam next month. Can anyone recommened any boat rides?
Thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM

They are all over the place and you can choose short or long rides that are priced accordingly. You will find a bunch of them near the centraal square near the Centraal train station.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM

They all seem to follow the same few routes (shorter or longer versions). The canals are quite small. IT would be chaos with big old boats all heading off in assorted directions!

Just go to the canal side when you fancy a boat ride and pick one.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM

There is another dock behind Hard Rock just southeast of Leidseplein, if that is more convenient than Central.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It alsmost is more a decision of whether or not to do it rather than which one.

In general the routes are the same and what one gets the other might not and so on.

It's just the idea of boating around and getting a different perspective.

We were in Brugge (the most beautiful small city) and Amsterdam, this past June and didn't bother with the boat rides.

We did pretty much walk the cities and rode bikes in Brugge.

We enjoyed ourselves and they did likewise.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hi Mike

As others posters have said, it doesnt really matter where you start your canal boat journey, they are all magical, we personally started out a few times on Damrak, it last approx 1 hr and costs about €7. Enjoy
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

We almost always do the river/canal tours our first time in a city. The one we took in Amsterdam was a wine and cheese late evening ride. We avoid dinner cruises as they are overpriced and not worth the $$ or the carbs.

We were advised by a friend to be sure to take a Brugge canal tour, but since we were there for a week and walked so much, we kept putting it off. Finally on our last day, we decided to do it ...... truthfully, it was a major highlight of our stay in this wonderful little city. Even though it was a greyish day in late March, the lines were still long and we almost changed our minds.

We were so glad that we did it, and the next time we go back, we'll probably do it again. No frills, no food, just sitting in an open boat.

No matter how much you walk along the canals/rivers, you get a totally different perspective of the city from the water - both day and night.

Nina
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. We will also be in Brugge. A canal ride there sounds great.
Mike
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Mike, you will (hopefully) love Brugge. There are some excellent restaurants, especially the one that is known for servicing beer with their meals. I forgot the name, but it is easy to find out when you are there or someone here will probably know ... Den something??? It is a fine dining restaurant, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Don't let the crowds in the main square scare you. The hoards of tour buses leave in the late afternoon. The ATM's near the square run out of money sometimes on weekend evenings and also on Monday.

Walk a few blocks away from the square, even when it is jammed with the bus tours, and you will be a a completely different city - quiet, charming with some beautiful _old_ houses - from the 1600's.

One last thing ....TAKE ME WITH YOU.

Nina
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A canal boat ride is the one thing I'm sorry I didn't seek out in my 5 days in Amsterdam.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I don't recommend the hop on hop off tours. It sounds like a good idea, but we found ourselves not making a circuit. One time we are listening to french, english and dutch and then german and english and never left the boat. Boarded as a red tour and then ended as a green tour without disembarking. Very confusing. At the end of the day you just were dumped off wherever the last stop happened.

I think I would recommend taking a tour that does a one time trip. The hop off and on can be done on the tram.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
DAX

Mike,
If you're going to Brugge, I'd suggest that you do the canal boat trip there instead. Amsterdam is better explored and appreciated by foot. Brugge is more quaint and the canal boats are open without any glass covering so you'd be more connected with the surroundings.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM

We'll be in Amsterdam and Bruges next month, too, and appreciate all this information.

Byrd