Help with Rome Hotel- A flying visit!!!

Sep 29th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Help with Rome Hotel- A flying visit!!!

Hi there,

We are travelling to Rome at the end of October to take a cruise. We will be in Rome for the 2 days beforehand but with travelling time etc it will be more like one evening and one full day and night.
I know that this is not enough time to do justice to this wonderful city. It is our first visit and we would like to take in some of the sites but obviously we will have to come back to do it properly!!
We would like to take in as many of the following sites as we can:
the Sistine Chapel, The spanish steps, Trevi fountain, Colosseum, possibly the catacombs, museo borghese etc...
I am really clueless about Rome so I would be really grateful if you could recommend somewhere to stay that would be convenient to some of these sites. We would like to be able to walk from our hotel in the evening to restaurants/cafe/ bars if possible.
Looking for something in a mid price range.
Is this a tall order??
Any help at all or tips would be very gratefully received!!!

Thanks a million!

Cailin
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:22 AM

My advice would be to stay in the Piazza Navonna area as it is close to Spanish Steps, Trevis Fountain, Pantheon, and is a lively area. You could take a bus to Colloseum the first night and also see it and the Forum all lit up.Then the next morning go to Vatican area to Sistine Chapel either by bus or a long walk.Spend the afternoon strolling the area around your hotel (which would include Trevi, Steps, etc.) Have dinner near the Pantheon-stunning at night- I could not get enough of just sitting and looking at such an amazing place! Also, I would definitely hire a car to pick you up at the airport to drive you directly to your hotel-about $50 well spent.
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:29 AM

I agree. Of course you'll pay extra to stay in the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo Fiori area, but it is worth it to make the most of your very limited time. Here are a few mid-range options to get you started:

http://tinyurl.com/n5e5w
http://tinyurl.com/queds
http://tinyurl.com/nxso4
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help.. I will look into those and I am sure I will get all sorted very soon. You have really whet my appetite for Rome now. Pity the trip is so short!!! Well it just means we will have to return to Rome soon.
Thanks

Cailin
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hello,

If your flight gets in early, you could see the colosseum, pantheon, spanish steps, and trevi fountain on your first day. You will be tired but these sights are close together and can be done in less than 3 hours.

This will leave a full day to do the borghese gallery and the vatican. The Borghese gallery requires a reservation, but you can do it online. The tour lasts only 2 hours. After that you could go to the vatican and St. Peters. There is a great tour of the vatican that lasts about 3 hours and covers a lot of things including the sistine chapel. You can get these tours inside or outside the vatican. The tours that are offered outside are the same tours that are sponsered by the vatican inside. I have done both and they are the same and are great.

Good luck and have a great time, Donna

Sep 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Hands down the Hotel del Senato - literally next to the Pantheon - is the place to stay. Location, location, location! It's central to everything, and the view from room 603 is to die for. You could walk everywhere - if you're so inclined but it would probably take up valuable time you don't have. The neighborhood at night is charming. Do a search on Fodors to get other peoples' takes on it. I can't remember ever reading a bad review.
http://www.venere.com/hotel/?htid=2091&lg=en
Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I have now managed to get my bearings and I am looking into hotels that are available in the Piazza Navonna area. It does seem to be close to everything. Thanks again

Cailin