Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome for Business - Good Hotel / Good but Short Tourism

Sep 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I'm traveling on pretty short notice (within a week or so) to Rome on Business and was looking for some recommended hotels. Close to attractions preferred, business conveniences (good Email/internet options) also preferred.

I'm also looking for some "must sees" for the trip. I'll likely be free in the evenings, my arrival day and perhaps one more day.

Any ideas?

-Scott
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM

The two things you will probably want to do with your arrival day and your other free day are to see the Vatican, including the Sistine Chapel (which is part of the Vatican Museums) and St. Peter's Basilica; and the ancient sites including the Colosseum and Forum. If it turns out you have only your arrival day, you would have to choose either the Vatican or the ancient Roman sites. You should try to find time one day to go to the Pantheon while it is open as well.

In the evenings, you can wander and see the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Spanish steps. You can walk up Michelangelo's steps to the Capitoline Hill and walk to the rear where there is a fantastic view over the Forum toward the Colosseum, which is illuminated in the evenings.
Sep 28th, 2005, 04:15 PM

what is your hotel budget per night?
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Hotel budget is US government per diem- $270/night or it looks like roughly 215-225 EUR.

I should be able to find something pretty nice for that, just no idea where to start.
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:33 AM

I think a perfect hotel for you would be the Hotel della Torre Argentina.

It is in the Centro Storico, but on Corso Vittorio Emmanuel, so you are right at a major transportation hub. Buses, trams, and taxis are footsteps away to get you where you need to be for business, and you are in a great spot for your evenings - you are also footsteps away from the Campo dei'Fiore, Piazza Navonna, the Pantheon, and can easily get to the Colosseo, the Vatican and Trestavere.

http://www.dellatorreargentina.com/
Sep 29th, 2005, 09:38 AM

My personal favorite that is in that price range is the Santa Chiara.
All services, great breakfast included, perfect location 2 blocks from the Pantheon.