Keukenhoff Gardens and Amsterdam Canal ride

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Amsterdam for just two to three days, in the spring. In addition to the museums and Ann Frank house, I'd like to do a canal boat ride and also make a trip to the Keukenhoff Gardens [tuplip season!]. Can anyone recommend a canal boat trip, and also give information on how to get to the Keukenhoff Gardens from the Marriott in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM

By all means take public transportation to Keukenhof. Parking and traffic can be a big hassle. The concierge desk at the Marriott will be glad to advise. Or you can go to Centraal Station, buy a round trip to Haarlem (takes about 20 minutes by electric train), hop on a bus opposite the station, and you will be there in another 25 minutes. You will find all canal rides are much the same. They simply wind through the heart of the old city. Very scenic, picturesque, and relaxing. On a rainy day, be sure to take a boat with a clear plastic roof!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM

may i also suggest that you tour the flower market near the airport at aalsmeer...it is unbelievable...early morning is best...quite a site
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I second the suggestion to see the flower market in Aalsmeer. We went last April and even our four year old loved it! It was one of the highlights of our trip and in the end, I enjoyed it as much as Keukenhof. We went at about 10:00, and there was still lots to see, but earlier would definitely have been better.

In Amsterdam, we got a one day pass for the Museum Boat which was great because it's a hop on/hop off system that has stops at all the major tourist areas. They have a published, reliable schedule if you want to split up and meet again at a certain stop.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:31 PM

On the canal boat rides in Amsterdam, some give better tours than others. The first canal boat ride we took left from closer to the Ann Frank house and was very informative and entertaining. The second (taken with another friend) left from the area close to the train station and had a disinterested crew and used a canned (taped) explanation of the sites that didn't work properly.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM

The Keukenhof is open this year from March 25 through May 20. If you go by train/bus, you can get a special ticket called a 'Rail Idee' which will give you a discount on the combination transportation and entrance fee.
Re boat tours, I've found that the Holland International and Lovers boat tours are the best. Many of them still use multi-language tapes, though, which means that the first language description is given before you even get to the sight and the last language description may be going on after you have passed the sight! (In Delft, at least, all the boat tour naaration is done live!)
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I was aware that I should get to the Ann Frank house early, but it wouldn't have occured to me to get to the flower market early. Good to know. I agree that there can be quite a difference in tours, with regard to how much information they give. I had been considering the museum one, but didn't know if that would replace a more leisurely one. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Lois, the Anne Frank House is also open evenings. We were there at about 5 p.m. on a Saturday and had no line to wait in.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, for the additional advice. It's nice to know it's an option to go to the Anne Frank house toward the end of hours, as long as we don't get there too late! How long should we allow for this stop?

Also, is the Heineken brewery tour worth doing, and also, is it close by?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM

I would allow 2 hours for Ann Frank. Also I went once in the morning and once in the evening and the being there in the twilight lent a more dramatic, if that can be possible, feel to the experience.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM

lucky you going to amsterdam!!!
the heinekein brouwerij visit is a nice one... its not that special but for the price, if you like beer it's worth it. dont do like me, dont go in the morning.. because they offer u beer and it doesnt fit well with 'ontbijt'
* Heineken Brouwerij (Stadhouderskade 78). Visit the old brouwery, get up to 3 free beers along the tour and a special souvenir.

another nice spot that most people dont know about is the antique shop. its kind of a hodge podge of things old and new from holland and europe. nice finds can be made here..
* Looier Kunst & Antiek Centrum (Elandsgracht 109)

this was also a nice museum because it's like visiting one of these pretty canal houses but then from the inside because all we usually see is the outside...
* Willet Holthuysen Museum (Herengracht 605). Visit an old canal house, and discover the life of a wealthy family a century ago, see photos.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Hi Lois In response to your question, I would go to the Anne Frank House in the early evening and when you are done take a walk down the street to the right about two blocks is a Pannenkoeken house, that is a pancake house they are very good! The Canal Bus is a great way to see the canals and get around the city if you would like to be able to sit and enjoy the scenery.To the Tulip Gardens take the train from Amsterdam to Harlem and there is a Ticket office in the middle where all the busses park purchase a ticket for the bus and entrance to the park all in one about E$15. You will want to go back to Harlem and visit the Corrie Ten Boom House if you are not familiar with this rent the movie " The Hidding Place". Buy a Rick Steve's travel book. Take a day and go to Bruges, it is the venice of the north in Belgium. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:42 PM

IMO, the Amsterdam canal boat ride is probably the worst waste of time that I have ever spent in Euopre. Get on your own feet with a DK or Michelin guide. You'll get much more out of it, MUCH more.

A more direct route to Keukenhof is via the train to Leiden from Amsterdam Centraal Station. From the Marriott take a tram to the A'dam station. The bus to Keukenhof waits outside the Leiden station door. K'hof is closer to Leiden than to Haarlem.

Haarlem is a great city to visit on its own.

Wherever you are in A'dam be on guard against pickpockets.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:55 PM

I think that's a little harsh, Hopscotch. I thoroughly enjoyed my canal trip & I'm sure most visitors would say the same. Having said that I absolutely agree that Amsterdam is a charming city to walk around.

The answer? Do both!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM

I loved the canal boat trips too (day and night). We took one after a long flight just to orient ourselves to the city. Then we walked around.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:38 AM

I agree. The canal boat is definitely NOT a waste of time. A good orientation before you do walking tours. And the canals at dusk, with the bridges lighted and the reflections of street lights on the water, are a beautiful sight.

In tulip season, they run a special train from Amsterdam to Leiden, and you can walk the several hundred yards to the entrance to the Gardens. No need for a bus at all.

The pickpocket caution is always good to keep in mind for any city in Europe, but I experienced any evidence of it in a week in A'dam. (No jostling to indicate an unsuccessful attempt.)
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:36 PM

Woops! In meant Lisse, not Leiden, for the location of the gardens.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am particularly interested in the Canal boat tours because, since I originally started planning this trip, I've discovered I'll need hip replacement surgery upon returning. Obviously, my exploring will be considerably limited. I am planning a day trip to Brugge, while we are staying in Brussels. I really appreciate the comments about alternate routes to Keukenhoff, and also alternatives to arriving at the Ann Frank house early, including area restaurants. Thanks so much! Just a few weeks, and I'll be on my way.....
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Loisl. Having some hip issues myself lately. How do you plan to manage? using a cane? curious as to how your trip goes and what you are planning ahead of time. We will be in Amsterdam in late April.
thanks
Can contact me privately if you wish. [email protected]
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Joanel, these days, with medical issues playing such a major part in plans, I try to have multiple options. I have 'good days' and then, unfortunately, more often than not, days I tell my family, "This is NOT a good day..." On a good day, I can walk around, enjoy sights, and even manage some steps, and feel wonderful about it. On bad days, I can barely walk across a room in my house without help. Most days are somewhere in the middle. I plan for those 'middle' days, and have backup plans for the rest, hoping to be able to be a bit more adventurous, but allowing for the worst case scenario. I will be happy to pass along any info that might be of help to you, when I get back. We return mid April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -