Search

amalfi trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amalfi trip

we are going for the first time to this area - 4 days end august. we have decided to stay the 4 nights in amalfi - probably at the villa lara. we hope to visit positano, ravello and possibly capri. 2 questions - on our arrival at naples airport - we probably will want to get to our hotel asap although the scenic bus trip from sorrento sounds wonderful. we won't be too tired as it's only a 2 1/2 hour flight from london and we get in at 2pm. should we book a taxi/ride from the airport direct to amalfi? and then do the bus trip to sorrento another day? or we could ask the taxi to go the scenic route?
The other question is about the hotel - has anyone stayed at the villa lara and what was it like? Thank you
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I don;t think you quite understand. It's not like there's a major highway and then an alternate cute coastal road. The cute coastal road is it - the one and only road. The bus isn;t there to be scenic - just to transport people.

Your only choices are the road (by private car or bus - but in August the time will probably be the same - long) or ferry.

(You may be able to save a few minutes by private car since that will avoid the need to take the local train to Sorrento to pick up the bus.)
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ira

Hk,

A taxi or limo will cost about 175 E.

You can get to Amalfi 2 ways:

1. The scenic land route

Bus from Naples airport to Sorrento.
See http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

SITA bus to Amalfi. You will get on the bus at the start of the route, so you will get seats.

Starboard side of the bus has the best views.

This is recommended if you don't have vertigo.

2. The scenic sea route

Bus from Naples airport to Napoli Centrale.

Train to Salerno
See www.trenitalia.com

The ferry to Amalfi is about 3 blks SE of the station.
See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM

There are indeed two routes from Naples to Amalfi. Both go over the mountains, but the scenic route is the one that runs along the bay of Naples almost to Sorrento , then crosses the mountains and comes down to the coast near Positano, so that you approach Amalfi from the west. Thes scenic route is only slightly longer than the eastern non-scenic route.
I took a rental car when I visited Amalfi (in fact, it was not a car but a large 12-seated-van). Rent the smallest car they offer (first, because of the roads, second, because of parking). However, if you are scary driving narrow roads you should stick to taxis and public buses. In any case, if you are motion-sick, take proper medication. If you have vertigo, cancel your trip to Amalfi.
We stayed in Amalfi at Luna Convento, a medieval monastery which is converted into a charming four-star hotel with private beach and pool.
From Amalfi, you can board a boat to Capri (as well as other places). It is a wonderful scenic cruise.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Actually there is another road that goes over the mountains and ends near Amalfi, but that is neither here nor there.

I think if you won't be tired from the short flight take the bus from Sorrento like Ira suggested, be sure you get on the bus that goes all the way to Amalfi though. Ask when you buy tickets in Sorrento.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions - we will probably go for the bus from sorrento...if anyone out there has stayed at villa lara please let me know how it was...we haven't booked up yet.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM

kristen_f

I posted this reply to your earlier inquiry on the US board, about Ravello hotels. I'm reposting here to make sure you see it:

Villa Lara in Amalfi gets fabulous reviews at tripadvisor.com.

The Hotel Giordano in Ravello would fill the bill price-wise, and is also well reviewed.
http://www.giordanohotel.it/

(You should repost your inquiry on the Europe board)

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Dear Hikerboy, thanks for pointing out that I'd posted the ravello message on wrong board - I'm a novice at this! We had dicovered the Giordano through an English travel company who recommend it - however we will probably book it directly as it is cheaper that way - we wanted to try the palazzo sasso but it's so expensive we thought we'd go for a cheaper option and spend the extra on eating out and taxis when necessary (everyone says how crowded the buses get in August). The other place with reviews (some good, some bad) and in same price bracket is the Graal but their website doesn't seem to work. Any hotel/restaurant suggestions from anyone, will be appreciated - thanks