Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi or Sorrento for Caserta day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have six days on/near Campania Coast. We definitely want to see Paestum, Herculaneum, Ravello and Caserta (really just the Reggia di Caserta) and maybe Capri or Ischia. We're working on the itinerary now, with a preference to have two bases with three nights at each. Bases in consideration are Sorrento and Vietri sul Mare. Is Caserta a feasible day trip from Sorrento, or is there an interesting small town with easier access to Caserta that we should consider in exchange for one of the nights in Sorrento?

Also, should we plan a stop in Positano at some point?

All suggestions appreciated!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM

I have done Caserta as a day trip from Sorrento using public transit. Having done this last year, I highly recommend that you avoid using bus unless you want have a thrill of pickpockets in action. No, being aware would not protect you. They make you squeeze through tight spaces on the bus so you won't feel them reaching into your pockets. You will be fully aware that they try to get into your pockets, but you have no choice but rub you body against them if you want to get on the bus.

Here is what I found. Sorrento-Napoli Centrale is by frequent Circumvesuviana train.

Napoli Centrale to Caserta has two choices, either by bus or by Trenitalia train.

1. Trentitalia train: The schedule is rather quirky. There is a ~9:00am Napoli departure requiring really early Sorrento start. The next Napoli departure is ~10:56am. The train runs frequently after that. But between 9am and 11am, there is a big gap in service. This is what I would recommend. You can try getting to Caserta by train from Salerno, but you still have to contend with the morning service gap.

2. CTP bus: So I decided to use a bus which ran during this train gap which in retrospect was an exciting but a poor idea. First you have to find the obscure bus station at the very opposite of this gigantic Piazza Garibaldi crossing mad traffic to get there. Then when the bus "eventually" arrived, there was a mad dash to get into the bus with pickpockets vying to get into your pocket. I used money belt so all they tried to get was my empty decoy wallet in my pants pocket. By the time I got to Caserta, I could have been there earlier by taking the 10:56am train without going thru chaos getting onto the bus.

The 3 day Campania Arte card covered both the bus and the Trenitalia train trip between Napoli Centrale and Caserta. The Arte card of course covers entry to the Reggia di Caserta.

You have to decide whether you want to go to the fountain at the end of the promenade. It is probably about 2miles from the palace. While there is a shuttle bus at a nominal fee, the waiting line was very long.

Herculaneum but not Pompeii? I would not miss Positano.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM

If up for an early start, you may prefer going to Caserta from Vietri - taking the 07:26 train from there down to Salerno, and changing onto one that gets in by 08:50... just after the doors open - other than on Tuesdays of course, when it's shut!

And, at just 85 minutes - with both legs by Regional train, on which the Artecard is valid - that's very probably the best you'll do from anywhere in the area....

A little later there's an 09:17 option - but 135 minutes, arriving 11:34, with the change in Naples instead.

Pathetic that this isn't available in English, but it may help...
http://www.reggiadicaserta.benicultu...167&Itemid=207

Paestum is much easier from Vietri - again start by going to Salerno, from where there are trains (which also have a similar mid-morning gap) and a continuous bus service.

Sorrento is a good base for Capri and Ischia - but both places you've chosen are quite good for trips to Naples and Positano - and also when heading to the sites of Pompei and Herculaneum.

You'll find photos from just about all of them, and other sites and sights that you might like to visit (such as the Spartacus amphitheatre, at Santa Maria Capua Vetre, just a stop or two down the line from Caserta), amongst these..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Perhaps they'll convince you that the Palace gardens are more than worth the effort!

Shout if there's anything else,
Peter

PS - Using the Trenitalia website can be a little confusing...
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

If you put in just "Vietri" then you'll pick up journeys from the "Romagnano-Vietri-Salvitelle" station - which is way off in the Salerno hinterland, on the way to Potenza...

Instead, use the whole "Vietri sul Mare" name to get the right ones, though Trenitalia will themselves then refer to it as simply "Vietri"... duuh!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Greg and Peter, thanks so much for the details. I've read many horror stories about the buses, so we are trying to decide right now whether a driver would be worth it for a couple of the trips (Sorrento to Caserta and Santa Maria Capua Vetre for example). We have no problem with the trains, but it seems like a driver would make the travel to some of the destinations are little more enjoyable, albeit, expensive.

Peter, should we opt for one night in Ischia/2 in Sorrento vs 3 nights in Sorrento?

THANKS AGAIN!
-Carrie
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM

You could most certainly do that - although a decade ago we came for 'just a look'... and ended up moving here!

We're less than an hour from Sorrento, with a daily hydrofoil that leaves there at 09:30.

And while there aren't any huge sites or sights, there are plenty of proper beaches - and other things you might enjoy...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscstars

Peter
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

You've received great, detailed information. I only want to add that we based ourselves in Sorrento (Antiche Mura)for a week-long trip. We took the train to Pompeii one day, a ferry to Capri another day, a small van/tour south to briefly visit Positano, Amalfi, Ravello. We thoroughly enjoyed Sorrento as a base and hope you have a wonderful time...

You've received great, detailed information. I only want to add that we based ourselves in Sorrento (Antiche Mura)for a week-long trip. We took the train to Pompeii one day, a ferry to Capri another day, a small van/tour south to briefly visit Positano, Amalfi, Ravello. We thoroughly enjoyed Sorrento as a base and hope you have a wonderful time...