Traveling to Paestum from Sorrento

Mar 8th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Traveling to Paestum from Sorrento

I will be staying in Sorrento for a week. I would like to travel to Paestum for a day. I am thinking about taking the circumvesuviana commuter train from sorrento to Pompei scavi station. I know a train does travel from the other Pompei station which is in the town to Paestum. How far is the distance from the two Pompei rail stations and is it walkable or is there public transportation?
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
DRJ

You can take the SITA bus from Sorrento to Salerno, walk a block or two and take another bus to Paestum. The whole trip is about two hours.
Mar 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM
yk

Antony-

The SITA bus trip that DRJ mentions actually takes a lot longer than 2 hours. The trip from Sorrento to Amalfi takes 1.5hrs, then change in Amalfi for the bus to Salerno which takes 1h15mins, then change again for bus to Paestum.
Here is a recent thread from 1 month ago with someone asking the same question and several options for you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34473051
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
DRJ

It was a few years ago, but my wife and I went from Priano to Paestum around ten AM, visited the site for an hour or so, grabbed a light lunch and returned to Priano before four PM. We must have caught the express.
Mar 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM

The Pompei FS station is a short walk from the CV station and getting to Paestum by train is your easiest option.
The SITA journey on a good day will be about 3.5 hours.

WWW.infopaestum.it
WWW.commune.capaccio.sa.it
WWW.uniplan.it/pompei/azienda
WWW.trenitalia.com
WWW.vesuviana.it
WWW.sita-on-line.it
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
ira

At the risk of repeating myself,

What we think is the nicest, even though it is not the fastest way, is the way we went.

Take the ferry from Sorrento to Salerno and the train from Salerno to Paestum.

Returning, you will be too late for the ferry.

Take the train from Paestum to Salerno, the bus to Amalfi, where you change buses, and the bus along the coast road back to Sorrento. The bus to Sorrento waits for the bus from Salerno at Amalfi. No waiting.

You get to see the unbelievably blue Mediterranean during the day and the moonlight on the water on your return.

Enjoy your trip.

Mar 8th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Hello Antony,

I have been researching the exact same question. Far and away the fastest connection is by train, connecting between the 2 Pompei stations. Do a map search at www.viamichelin.com which clearly shows the 2 stations and surrounding streets. They look to be just under 2km apart.
The SITA timetable web site shows a 5 minute bus ride between the 2 Pompei stations, running every 15 mins or so. There will also certainly be taxis to/from Pompei Scavi.
The train from Sorrento to Pompei Scavi takes about 30 mins, whilst the train from Pompei FS to Paestum takes about 1 hour.
Mar 9th, 2004, 12:33 AM

There is no need to take a bus or taxi between the two Pompei stations,it is a simple short walk through the Town of Pompei.Take time to visit The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary on your way. The Tourist info ofice is nearby and the FS station is at the end of Via Sacra.