Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast vacation - away from crowds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:25 AM
sandie

I'm planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in late July - peak tourist season - and I'm looking for the best area to stay that is less congested, yet accessible to the beach, markets, towns, etc. I'm currently looking at Ravello, Ischia and possibly Positano. Does anyone have any advice on which area would be best this time of year - any experience with any villa rentals in the area for 2 families?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:22 AM
GAC

Positano, Amalfi and Ischia will be mobbed. Stick with Ravello if you want a much more subdued (and refined) venue. Plus, Ravello is ravishingly beautiful.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Grasshopper

Check out Massa Lubrensa.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Santa Chiara

Agree with GAC. I was there the first weekend in August 2000 and Ravello was so quiet it was almost dead, plus I got a good deal on my hotel room because it still wasn't considered high season. <BR><BR>Ravello is not close to beaches, but it makes up in beauty a absence of crowds. Highly recommended.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:23 AM
hamlet

I also suggest you look into Massa Lubrense which is midway between Sorrento and Positano (10 minutes drive in either direction). There was a thread on this recently which I'll send top if the search function works for me. Also check out www.massalubrense.it.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Vincenzo

I agree with the other friends: Massalubrense, la collina massese!<BR>Far from the madding crowd, a Paradise!

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sandie
Myself and my wife travel to the area every year (for the last 6) I would suggest A hotel we have enjoyed &quot;Hotel Bellavista&quot; which is around6km outside Sorrento and 1-2 km from Massa lubrense. you can walk into town via the lemon groves , about an hour. or take the bus and do the amalfi coast. the Bellavista is just the business , family run and acilities like (SPA, ROOFTOP POOL, ONLy 20 ODD ROOMS IN THE HOTEL.
Its Great . 95 euro each h/b .. THIS IS ITALIAN AT ITS BEST .

Gordon &amp; Jean Condie
From Scotland
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Well, I think sandie would have returned from her trip by now.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Gordon and Jean, did you dine in the restaurant at that hotel? We have had dinner there on quite a few occasions over the course of several trips to Italy with our family. The last time, with our son and his now fiance, the owner came to our table as we were leaving and gave me a small, hand-painted platter with a view of Capri and the restaurant name on it. It was so sweet of her! Food is very good, too!