Amalfi Coast public transportation question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm helping my dear friend put the finishing touches on her upcoming September trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast. She asked me a question today that I couldn't accurately answer -- mainly b/c my memory of public transportation from my May 2004 trip is getting rusty with time (and pregnancies)!

Hoping you all can help. . .

Is the best/only way to Ravello from Positano via ferry to Amalfi and then SITA bus up to Ravello? Or can you take the SITA bus from Positano to Ravello? Does anyone know what the ferry and SITA bus schedules are like (e.g., how early and til how late) to help plan a day trip from Positano to Ravello?

She also asked me if I thought there were any other "must sees" in addition to Capri, Ravello, and Positano. (I've told her that Amalfi didn't enthrall me and that she might consider Ischia, Pompeii, or Sorrento.) I'm sure folks have tons of insights on other places worth visiting.

Thanks in advance!

-Kellie
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Hi Kellbell,

Yes, you can take the SITA bus all the way from Positano to Amalfi, then change to a smaller bus to go up to Ravello. Boat between Positano and Amalfi is another choice.

When I visited in Sept, the SITA buses were beyond jammed, late, or no show all together. The bus up to Ravello was a nightmare.

I would highly recommend boat to Amalfi and taxi up to Ravello. Money well spent.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Dayle:
Thanks for your response! I never actually considered taxis when I was there. That's so funny! She is a Chicago gal, so a taxi is very up her alley anyway and gives her a bit more control over her schedule.

I remember the SITA bus being crowded (although not late). But what an experience the SITA bus is in the AC! We actually had two SITA busses get stuck, as I recall, on those narrow winding roads. It was a bit of a harrowing experience!

I really loved the ferry ride from Positano to Amalfi, so I hope she goes that route and then taxis up to Ravello!

Thanks for the reminder on the taxi!

-Kellie
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM
kja

In case it matters, I've read on other posts that a taxi from Amalfi to Ravello is likely to cost from 25 to 30 euros.

Other places to consider seeing while based in the area include Naples, Salerno, and Paestum.

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Considering the experince of the bus up & down to Ravello, packed in like sardines, no A/C, people literally dripping with sweat while we waited for the driver to have a ciggy.....yes, I would have GLADLY paid $30.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
ira

Hi K,

When in Sept?

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Please help: We're coming from Rome to Ravello...What do you think would be advisable: Train from Naples to Salerno..bus or taxi from there to Amalfi/Ravello? OR: What about ferry to Amafi and then taxi up to Ravello?
PLEASE help with this ...OR: taxi from Naples to Ravello over the pass?
Thanks so much!!!!!
maggie
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM

From Positano I took a hydrofoil direct to Amalfi. The ride was wonderful, as it was beautiful, sunny, and easy.

From Amalfi I took the SITA bus direct to Ravello. It was very easy, and we were fortunate that we got seats on the bus, and it was not that crowded.
We may have just been "lucky" that the bus was not overcrowded at the time we took it.
Ravello was fabulous. I loved the town. The views were so dramatic.

The return trip was just as easy.
I would suggest the hydrofoil from Positano, unless the schedule is not running when you will be going in September.
I enjoyed Ravello far more then Amalfi.
But they are 2 totally different types of towns.

Of course a cab is probably a faster option from Amalfi to Ravello, but in September, you may have less congestion to deal with.

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM

We took this trip at the end of July. The hydrofoil from Positano to Amalfi was fine, and then we took the bus from Amalfi to Ravello. We were planning on taking a taxi, after reading about people's difficulties, but it turned out to be easy to take the bus. It was crowded going back down, with a slight wait, but I think a second bus came right after the first and picked up the rest of the people. I don't think I saw any taxis waiting for customers in Ravello, but maybe they wait somewhere else.

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM

Hi Maggie - Unless you want to go to the expense of a taxi from Naples to Ravello (- € 100-150) I suggest you get a direct train to Salerno from Rome.

Timetables can be found on:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

From Salerno it's a short boat ride (- 35 mins) to Amalfi - from where you can take a taxi (- € 25-30) or bus up to Ravello.

Ferries leave from the Piazza della Concordia jetty in Salerno (- 5 mins walk from the station).

Ferry timetables can be found on:

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM
ira

Hi M,

>We're coming from Rome to Ravello..

I would take the train to Salerno, the ferry to Amalfi and a bus or cab to Ravello.

You can also take the SITA bus from Salerno to Amalfi.

Train schedules are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/3cbhkb

SITA bus schedules are at http://tinyurl.com/ybe6xk

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM

After taking the bus from Amalfi to Ravello, I second (third?) the thought that the taxi is well worth the money. She can always judge the crowd for herself, knowing she has both options.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I agree...I was there in September, staying in Positano. We took the ferry to Amalfi, then bussed it to Ravello. Although it was an experience I will never forget, at the time it was horrible. Hot, crowded, smelly...and if you have a fear of heights the ride might leave you paralyzed! We had the same experience getting stuck on the roads - where cars have to reverse on the winding cliff-top roads so the bus can squeeze by. A taxi might be worth the money - especially on the way back down when you are tired from sight seeing!

Also, when in Ravello make sure to visit Villa Cimbrone. BEAUTIFUL gardens and the scenery from the Infinity ledge is AMAZING!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:16 PM

So where do you get a taxi back down from Ravello? Do they pick up somewhere different than the bus?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Susan, the bus stop and the taxis are in the same place in Ravello - the main square, as I recall. It's not that hard to suss out the bus situation in either Amalfi or Ravello and then bail for a taxi if the bus situation isn't looking good.

We were on the Amalfi Coast in early Oct and took various buses back and forth between Positano and Sorrento, from Positano to Amalfi, from Amalfi to Ravello and from Amalfi to Salerno.

The scenery is beautiful and the cost is nominal. Some of our buses were crowded, some weren't. There was almost always some waiting around involved.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM

LAWoman, thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking...that a taxi would be a backup to the bus if the bus looked horrendous.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM

The only place I would take a bus or taxi is between Amalfi and Ravello. Everywhere else take a ferry or hydrofoil. The view from the coast is amazing and they are affordable.