Amalfi Coast - Help, Itinarary

Feb 11th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast - Help, Itinarary

Hi All,

I just wanted to start by saying that this is an amazing community which helped me plan my entire Honeymoon 5 years ago. Now, its my 5th year anniversary and I want to return to Italy. We are doing a family cruise (meeting up after our anniversay) out of Civitavecchia on Costa.

The plan is my wife and I are going to fly from SC to Naples, and rent a car @ the airport. We will then drive to Hotel Eden Roc in Positano where we honeymooned for part of the time where we were there in 2002.

Here is where I need help.

Our anniversary in on a Saturday, we are leaving on Tuesday arriving Naples on Wed.

Do we

1) Spend the whole time at the Eden Roc at Positano and meet the cruise the day of (I think we have to be there by 5PM). We would likely drop the car at the Naples Airport, and take the train to Rome in the AM.

2) Do we spend 2 nights in Positano, a night in between, and a night in Rome for our anniversary? Although we stayed at the Del Senato (which was great) on our first trip, we have a lot of Hotel points, and are considering the St. Regis in Rome.

If we go with 2, where do we spend the "in between" (between Rome and Positano) night? Also, is the St. Regis a good choice? Is it easy enough to drive from Positano to Rome? I remember some of the driving was challenging.

3) Do we spend 3 nights in Positano, and one night in Rome using the St. Regis?

So many choices.....

We want to go to Ravello for the day one day, which is one thing we never had time for.

We want a balance between relaxation, and being able to see a little bit.

Thanks in Advance,
Andrew

Feb 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Hi there,

So exciting...I have stayed at Eden Roc as well and absolutely loved it.
I would recommend you either spend all your time in Positano, or one night in Rome as well. Between Naples and Rome, there really isn't anything that measures up! From Positano there is so much you can do, Ravello, Praiano, Maiori, shop, etc.
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Sorry, I didn't realise understand how many nights you have available ?

You arrive in Naples on Wednesday & go straight to Positano. Your anniversary is Saturday. But what day do you join the cruise - Sunday ? If so that means you have 4 nights - so I'd spend them all in Positano relaxing alone.
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:29 AM
ira

Hi R,

>going to fly from SC to Naples, and rent a car @ the airport. We will then drive to Hotel Eden Roc in Positano...<

Does your hotel have free parking?

I suggest that, for less than the price of a car rental, you have a limo take you to the hotel and return you to either Naples or Salerno for your train to Rome.

You could get to Civitavecchia that day.

From Naples
The 09:24 (direct train) arrives at 12:32. The 12:10 via Rome arrives at 15:15.

From Salerno all trains require changing in Rome.

Feb 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all the replies. I think what we're going to do is spend 3 days in Positano with the car, so we can take some day trips to nearby places like Sorrento, Ravello, etc. On Saturday, we'll go to Rome VIA the train, or maybe even drive it. Has anyone driven from Positano to Rome? Once in Rome, we'll either stay at the Del Senato, or the St. Regis. We have to meet the cruise on Sunday by about 4PM.

Unfortunately, the Eden Roc charges 25 Euro per day for car parking.

Ira, How much is the limo you're talking about?

Has anyone done any cooking classes in and around Amalfi? Any recommendations?

Feb 16th, 2007, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi R,

>spend 3 days in Positano with the car, so we can take some day trips to nearby places like Sorrento, Ravello, etc...<

And where do you put the car?

I suggest taking the bus between those towns.

A limo between Naples and Positano will be about 110E.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Feb 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Redneck, here is my take, although you did not ask for it:

You are spending huge amounts of money to take the trip for your 5th anniversary. Paying another 25 Euro a night for 3 nights is miniscule compared to the rest of the charges. So if you want to have a car, just park it at your hotel and take your chances.
Feb 16th, 2007, 06:34 AM

My wife and I did a very similar trip 4 or 5 years ago. (I remember, Ira was a big help then too!) We trained from Rome to Naples. Then bused over to Positano, via Sorrento, where we spent 2 or 3 nights. Then a night in Ravello.
We really liked spending a night in Ravello. We love to hike so that was perfect. In fact, FYI: If you like hiking at all you can hike down to Almalfi from Ravello. We left at 9 a.m. and found a perfect little lunch spot half way down the mountain. Then hang out in Almalfi for an afternoon and finally take a taxi (or bus) back up to Ravello. It worked for us.
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Go to Ravello.....it is beautiful. You can take the water taxi from Positano to Amalfi, and then a cab or bus up to Ravello. You can also hike down from Ravellow to Amalfi.... doesn't take too long.
Jul 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I was just looking through some of my old posts, and realized I never told you how this turned out. AMAZING! We wound up renting a VW diesel Passat (great car), and drove up to the Eden Roc for 2 nights. The Eden Roc was as good as I remembered it on our Honeymoon. We spent some time on the beach where the water was very refreshing. There is a small seafood restaurant (La Cambusa) right on the beach that is my favorite restaurant around there. We also met a lovely couple from South Africa and went back to their place on the water for drinks. We also took a day trip to Ravello to purchase ceramics, and some art. I just LOVE the Amalfi coast!! I could spend weeks there. Afterwards we returned the car and took a train to Rome. We stayed at the St. Regis. I am a preferred guest member. I purchased a 20,000 point /night room and were upgraded to a suite! It was a fabulous room...probably one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in.

Then, we headed to the port for the 7 night Costa Cruise on the Concordia....Also a fabulous experience.