Reload this Page >

Ama;fi Coast in 1 day?

Search

Ama;fi Coast in 1 day?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:24 PM
sharon

Ama;fi Coast in 1 day?

We are a family of 5 staying in Sorrento and wondering if it is possible to tour Positano, Amalfi and Ravello all in one day, using public transport or are we better going the expensive route and booking a private car and guide?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:52 AM
cameron

take the ferry from sorrento and enjoy the scenery or rent a car, a guide isn't necessary...skip the bus!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Steve James

Hello Sharon,<BR><BR>This is easy enough by public transport, using a combination of boats and buses. <BR><BR>The first boat from Sorrento leaves at 11.00, - so this is too late. You need to do the first part by bus.<BR><BR>This is how I'd do itBR><BR>SORRENTO-POSITANO by bus.<BR>Buses leaves Sorrento (railway station) at 08.25 (daily) and 09.15 (not Sundays)<BR><BR>POSITANO-AMALFI by boat or bus.<BR>Boats leave Positano at 10.00, 11.30 (possibly) and 12.15.<BR>(EURO 4.00, 25 mins)<BR>Bus timetables are onBR>www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt<BR><BR>AMALFI-RAVELLO and return by bus.<BR>Timetables are on<BR>www.uniplan.it/sita/s511_1.txt<BR><BR>AMALFI-SORRENTO by bus or boat.<BR>The only Amalfi-Sorrento boat is at 15.00.<BR>(EURO 7.00, 80 mins.)<BR>Bus times again are on the uniplan website above.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Sherry

Hi Sharon. Logistically it can be done. But is it practical.<BR>Recently, we were talking with a couple who took the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi, and they said it took two hours each way. <BR>I realize Amalfi is beyond Positano, but if you do this by bus, you are going to allow at least an hour for the one way trip to Positano. If you do this at 8:25, how much time do you want to allow in Positano. And you will still have the two other towns.<BR>The bus drops you off above the main part of Positano, and it is walking down through the town and back up to the bus. The reverse is true by boat. Up through the town and back down again to the port. <BR>I know it takes at least a half an hour to get from Amalfi up to Ravello. And then another half an hour to get back again to catch the bus or whatever.<BR>You would at least want to do a little sight seeing in the three towns.<BR>Do you have enough time on the coast to group two of the towns together?<BR>The time consumed by the bus travel will eat up a large part of the day. <BR>A private car and guide will save some time because you will not have to depend on schedules, but driving between those towns takes a lot of time.<BR>Of course, the amount of traffic depends on the time of the year.<BR>I don't think one day will do any of these towns justice. But it can be done.<BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Andrea

Hi Sharon<BR>I agree with Sherry. We recently tried to see both Amalfi and Ravello (from Sorrento) and it was a bit rushed. There can be traffic jams along the main Amalfi Coast road. Even the boats can be full and there don't seem to be such things as queues!! Everyone rushes towards buses and boats at once! Don't let this put you off - it is THE most beautiful coast in the world and worth the effort. I would either take the bus to Amalfi and go straight on to Ravello and then visit the Duomo in Amalfi later in the afternoon. Take your time, have a leisurely espresso, smell the lemons - that's what this part of Italy is all about. Other option would be to spend a leisurely day in Positano (possibly going by boat). But I wouldn't try and do everything. This way it gives you an excuse to go back...<BR>P.S. You definitely shouldn't get a guide, etc - transport is really easy and frequent.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:23 AM
mike

assuming you are not including sorrento along with this itin, it's<BR>definitely doable if you have a car...this past may we did positano in the morning (10am) and amalfi/ravello in the afternoon with time to get back to sorrento by 7:30..the traffic and parking weren't too bad; it was tiring but that was probably due to the long hike to villa jovis...<BR><BR>i'm probably part of the small small minority who did not find ravello all that great..btw a guide is not necessary..

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Sharon

Thanks for all your posts. We have 3 kids (ages 18,15,11) and will be staying in Sorrento for 11 nights in Aug. If we were to split it, how would you recommend and would it all be appealing to this age group? Want to do Capri and Pompei and also have time to smell the lemons, take in the scenery and relax!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Andrea

Capri and Pompeii are a must and something all 3 kids would enjoy. You might want to think about hiring a private boat from Sorrento and doing your own trip along the coast. That way you could stop off at little coves, etc which could be fun. There is not much of huge interest in Positano, Ravello - in Amalfi there's the Duomo and papermaking museum. But they're not exactly action packed places - more languid and atmospheric. So perhaps a full day boat trip with stops might be a possibility?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Patrick

Steve's plan looks good on paper and it can work if:<BR>1) the boats actually run that day -- they are often cancelled due to rough seas, winds, or even the fact that the captain isn't feeling well.<BR>2) the busses are actually on schedule, which they seem to be about 1/3 of the time.<BR>3) you don't find yourself wanting to linger longer at one place or become bored at one place and want to move along.<BR><BR>I heartily suggest getting a car and doing it on your own. We had a car in Positano and left it one day to go by boat to Amalfi. But the return boats were cancelled, hundreds of people were stranded. The busses ran very late and we couldn't squeeze onto the first two. Hours and hours later we finally got back to Positano. We wished over and over again we had taken the car, which also would have enabled us to at least go on to Ravello to see what that was like. Instead we were stranded in Amalfi waiting for busses all afternoon.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Steve James

Sharon - How would you want to split it?<BR>Would you want a few days elsewhere in the same region, or in a completely different area? <BR><BR>What would you want the 2nd resort to offer? <BR><BR>Steve

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Sharon

Steve,<BR>Will be in Rome for 3 nights beforehand and then spending 11 nights in Sorrento.<BR>After reading about the Amalfi Drive, wouldn't be so keen on driving, but leaving it to someone else. I know that there is a guided tour and that might be the best bet.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Steve James

Sharon - From Sorrento there is a Positano/Amalfi/Ravello coach tour 4 days a week (currently Monday-Thursday). I don't think they stop long in Positano though.<BR><BR>Steve