Alternative from Naples to Positano

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Alternative from Naples to Positano

The hotel we will be staying at in Positano gave us a number of alternatives to get there from Naples. One was by ferry from Naples to Positano. That sounded interesting. Has anyone ever taken this? Any ideas as to how long it takes, or how much it costs or how often it runs?
We'll be there at the very end of June. All info appreciated
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been discussed often on this forum, if you put Positano in as a search word you should come up with lots of info.
We caught the train to Sorrento then the bus to Positano which was quite easy and cheap. Could be a struggle if you have lots of luggage because of the crowds.
Kay
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surfer - The service from Napoli BEVERELLO to Positano is run by METROdelMARE.

It runs twice daily in high season, with departures at 08.50 and 16.30.
Journey time 1 hour.
Fare € 8.00

http://www.metrodelmare.com/inglese/home.html
(Route No. MM2)

There are also more frequent services from Salerno.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. Depending on where you may want to arrange a porter service at Positano - there is no taxi service from the quay (- no road access).
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:30 AM

... that should read - Depending on where you are staying ...
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

You are awesome!

Looking at the website, it looks like the hotel (Tartana) is pretty close to the beach (presumably where the ferry comes in?), but the porter idea is good because while I pack light and can carry my stuff up tons of stairs, my husband can't.

Is the Beverello close to the train station (where we arrive from Rome) or do we need to take a cab to get there?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:05 PM

My response is based on the assumption that you are staying a day or two in Naples. We were there last June and discovered that the "artecard" which allows one to use public transportation and visit various museums (and Herculaneum, too)also includes one ferry ride to Positano or Amalfi. We were going to Amalfi, it was very, very hot, and the trip by sea a welcome relief even if the "ferry" is a hydrofoil with little outside area for breezes.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:19 AM

Surfer - Beverello is a 10 mins. bus- or taxi-ride from Napoli Centrale station.

If you go by taxi, be sure to pick a legit one - and fix a price before you get in.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Much appreciated Steve. How can you tell a legit from non-legit one?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Surfergirl,

Are you aware of the Artecard? There is a Campania ArteCard which covers entry to two sights of your choice (go for Pompeii and Herculaneum, the most expensive sights, as freebies) and also 50 percent off on other sights covered by the card. Including Naples' Archaeological Museum and Paestum's Greek temples. Also covers some regional transportation (the Circumvensuviana). Card costs 25 euros and is good for three days. You can purchase the card at Naples railway stations as well as the ports. Website -- www.campaniartecard.it

Also, FYI, if you haven't already read these posts about LaTartana >>> "JenniferW" posted a trip report from last year and her stay in Positano was at this hotel ---
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34418712 --- Trip Report: Just returned from Rome, Positano, Florence, Venice
--- Villa Rosa Vs. Villa La Tartana in Positano --- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1371155

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Tess, much appreciated advice!

Yes,I booked the Tartana after reading Jennifer's and Kiki's comments (interestingly, I was about to book the Venice hotel Jennifer stayed at until I read her report and others about the air conditioning and mosquitoes and booked instead at the hotel we stayed at 14 years ago). The emails from the people at Villa Tartana couldn't be nicer or faster!