AIX Marks the Spot

Search

AIX Marks the Spot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
AIX Marks the Spot

I liked the post on places in Europe that people didn't like too much. For me it was Aix-en Provence. To paraphrase a trip report I did a few years ago and a milllion brain cells ago, Aix-en-Provence Aixencuates the most negative connotation for me. The Aixhaust fumes were horrendous. The traffic Aixasperated my wife and me. There was Aixtreme air pollution. I've had more fun at an Aixecution. There was no Aixcitement about being there. Finally my wife Aixclaimed, "Tom, can we Aix this terrible town from any future trips." I felt like the Aixedental Tourist. There was one good thing about Aix, however. Because it was so crowded and polluted, my wife and I kept going back to the hotel and made love until we we were simply Aixhausted. We dubbed the town "Sex-en-Provence." We Aixcitedly Aixeted Aix, never to return. My spouse said, "II would not even recommend this place to your Aix wife." To me those who told me this city was nice pulled an Aix con on me. Perhaps, however, there is someone out there who loves Aix-en-Provence who can Aixplain what they see as charming about it. Maybe you can Aixtoll its virtues. Aixcuse me for the length of this post, but I had demons to Aixercize about Aix.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Of course, the last line should have been "Aixorcise", but I guess the devil made me do it.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:10 PM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a matter of time until a certain someone (u----_s--) chimes in here - - of course it's all bad, including AIXistentialism, which those spineless French invented, of course.<BR><BR>bAIXt wishes,<BR><BR>rAIX<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

rAIX...It was Aixcellent of you to respond. Still, I would actually like to know if someone does like Aix and what they see that I might have missed. By the way, I loved everywhere else I went in Provence.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:22 PM

LOL--what a creative post. BTW, I tend to agree. People aixpect quaint and cute but get a city of 150k.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

&quot;People aixpect quaint and cute but get a city of 150k.&quot;<BR><BR>My business partner's parents had told me how lovely it was and what a terrific time they had there. It took us about two hours just to get into Aix from the Aixit. There were booths selling nothing but Aixtraordinarily ugly junk lining the street. We sat down at an outdoor cafe to sip some wine, and I believe the Aixhaust fumes from every automobile in the city hit us Aixactly in the face. Fortunately the next day we drove to Cassis, had a beautiful boat ride on a gorgeous afternoon, and Aix was just a distant memory.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM

What Aixactly were you people thinking? Aix is Aixactly what the doctor ordered for walking, and eating at any number of Aixterior cafes in the Aixact centre of town! So much fantAixstic food and wine to choose from! Not to mention tours around Cezanne's original studio complete with Aixtinct apples!!! Large boulevardes with plane trees shading the pedAixtrians and many Roman fountains in Aixtraordinary places! We were there in late May and the weather was Aixellent! Don't listen to these Aixtra whingers - just Aixit to Aix!!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is AIX actly what I mean about some people trying to AIXorcize tourists away from Aix-en-provence.<BR>Read MFK Fisher (one of my favorite writers) Two Towns in Provence and the Boss Dog and you will read about Aix's beauty.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:49 AM
lynlor

It is true that there is a lot of congestion, construction going on in Aix, but if you look beyond the surface to the outskirts and surrounding area you will find many beautiful and wondeful things. <BR><BR>Le Mas d'Entremont is 5km from the center of town. It is an enchanting place to stay. The owners are delightful and the surroundings are vast and beautiful. There are beautiful pictures of it in a book called HOTEL GEMS OF FRANCE. It is also reasonably priced and was written up in the New York Daily newspaper.<BR><BR>There are other delightful places to stay, but I haven't personally checked them out. The Mercure Paul Cezanne is one of the most charming Mercure hotels (mercure hotels are not usually charming) that we have ever stayed at. It is within walking distance of the Cours MIrabeau.<BR><BR>There are wonderful restaurants in town and in the surrounding area. The ones that we have eaten at include: les Bacchanales, Clos de la Violette and Relais ste Victoire (10 km from Aix).<BR><BR>If you have a car, you will enjoy the area more.<BR><BR>Mont Victoire is delightful to see...especially during different times of the day. Cezanne painted this mountain in different lights and different times of the day because he thought it was so beautiful.<BR><BR>We met a Dutch gentleman in Aix that told us about an English speaking community that lives in Aix and surrounding area. All of these folks loves the area and don't want to leave. They have an English speaking community with their own newsletter teling about all their activites. This gentleman sent us a copy of this newletter to show all the acitivies they enjoy.<BR><BR>Don't write off Aix.

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Amanda. Although I disagree with you, it was an Aixcellent reply. I Aixed for people to give me positives. Perhaps you will move there some day and become an Aixpatriot.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:05 AM

lynlor: can you tell me anymore about this english speaking community? As an Aix-patriot myself, I would be interested in making contact with them. Thank you.
P.S. to maitaitom: I'm surprised that you don't return just for the sAix.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:52 AM
lynlor

Babette:
M. van der Laan-Kruegers Dagneeaux is the name of the man we met in Aix. He and his wife live in Tourves ( a village near Aix) He sent us a newsletter which I still have, but I will have to look further in my files to find.

The group of people were from the surrounding area as well as Aix.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:37 AM

Babette..this is a community of English speaking, mostly Americans in that area.
I don't know if it is the same group that lnor is speaking of.

www.friendsinprovence.com...they are in need of new members.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

mait, you are aix-onerated for your aix-iling Aix because you took the aix-tra time to aix-plain why.Aix-celant thread.
Aix-cited to return with aix-uberance
Youe aix-hort, mimi
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

My Aixclamations for Aix! It was my first Aixtraordinary Provencal Aixperience; a week in Aix with day Aixcursions. Stayed in an apartment in the old quarter and Aixperienced the Aixtreme elemental beauty of Aix.

Dinner in the (many) squares; buskers in the foreground; in the background, nature Aixpressing herself, deepening the starry night sky from blue to black against the building facades that were changing through the ochre spectrum from glowing yellow to soft orangey pink.

Using the Aixuisite fountains as a navagational tool (&quot;no&quot; I Aixclaimed!...we should turn left at the boar's head fountain). Lunch in a square surrounded by millions of flowers; Aixtracting the cork from the bottle and wondering how I could Aixport this wonderous place. The sundials! An Aixeptional way to tell time.

It was difficult to Aixtricate myself from Aix and go forth to Antibes.

adrienne
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Aixtremely good replies. Although I will never return (not even for the SAix, babette), I am glad that some of you are still Aixited about Aix. I also believe we have almost Aixhausted the list of Aix puns.