Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French language study Montpellier, Aix en Provence or somewhere else?

Jan 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I need some advice. Due to a change in plans I must make a decision about cancelling a booked apartment reservation in Paris. We have already paid a deposit and the refundable date is fast approaching. My travelling companion is unable to come with me so I am continuing solo.

Rather than stay only in Paris I want to take a French language course somewhere for 2 weeks (airline booking is for 3 weeks)

Would someone who has firsthand knowledge of a wonderful program care to make suggestions. I have spent time at L'Ecole des 3 Ponts and it was a marvellous experience. I would go back instantly but my times do not mesh with theirs.

I have looked at all the recommendations that have been posted on Fodor's and many other links. I am leaning towards Montpellier or Aix for the last week May/1st week June. I am not familiar with either place. Which would you choose?

I'm not closed to other suggestions of places but I am fussy and after my great Ecole des 3 Ponts experience my choice needs to be well thought out. My level of French is upper intermediate/advanced. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

I did promise a trip report on L'Ecole des 3 Ponts and it is coming, slowly!!
Jan 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Kevin, a poster here, lives in Provence and runs a bed and breakfast at which his French wife gives French lessens.
Hopefully he will see this and could advise you.
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM

I highly recommend Montpellier. I studied at the Universitie Paul Valery there. I did it through a US program that lasted 6 months. And this was 13 years ago, so I really have no idea what they offer now. What I can share is that it was a great, authentic French college experience and I loved every second of it. I also liked Montpellier much more than Aix, mainly because it seemed to have more to offer in terms of culture and arts. But it is probably a matter of preference.

Bon Chance!
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Jazzyred -

Yes, my wife Elisabeth teaches French for foreigners. Her classes are usually one-on-one, and occasionally for couples or families. If you are looking for something more along the lines of a school program, she is associated with a small school run by a woman in our village of St. Saturnin. Email me and I will be happy to provide more info.

As an aside, either Montpellier or Aix would be a great place to study. I am partial to Aix as we lived there for two years. It has a large student population which gives the town a lot of energy. Perfect for memorizing all those irregular verbes....

-Kevin

Jan 31st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Aix is a lot smaller but a lot nicer than Montpellier (a bit dirty). Depens if you want to live in a city or a town, as Montpellier has of course more to see. The coast is nicer (but longer to get there) around Aix than around Montpellier. Prices are higher in Aix than in Montpellier.Hard to tell