Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Discounted London Theatre Tickets--When to buy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read about the discounted tickets to the London theatre. When can I purchase these discounted tickets in Leichester Square?

Thank!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They open at 10 am. I got there at 930 and there were twenty people in front of me on a cold November morn.
Got three front row for Les Miz.
Get there early.There is an availability board you can study as you wait in line.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:31 AM

Another hint. Go to www.officallondontheatre.co.uk and register. You can receive various offers for discounted tickets. Or I believe you can just click on to the "special offers" tab at the top of the website and get them also. These allow you to call some theatres up to a month beforehand and get tickets sometimes as low as half price (and no service charge -- even cheaper than at the half price booth). I did that for two for one deals for the current OUR HOUSE and for 10 pounds off of DANCE OF DEATH with Ian McKellen, which is also a better deal than the 25% discount the TKTS booth has been offering for that show. I also did that almost a month ago for two for one for ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, which we were to see tonight. Unfortunately the show has closed early, but they refunded my purchase price to my credit card.

Incidentally, I've learned that it seems better not to go to the booth before it opens. Getting there at 9:30 means you'll wait at least half an hour. Yesterday I got there at 10:10 and although the line seemed very long, we were through it in about 20 minutes. The line moves amazingly fast!! I noticed that when I left at 10:30 the line was even shorter than when I arrived -- probably about a total 10 minute wait.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:15 AM

Patick's observation is correct, Tracy.

My wife & I got 2d row seats to see My Fair Lady at slightly better than half price!

Not so lucky with Phantom. The booth only had regular priced tickets the next day so I walked over to Her Majesty's Theater where Phantom was playing and got tickets for about 22 pounds each. Not the best seats, toward the rear. But still got to see a matinee of Phantom that same day.

Have fun. You'll love it.

Bob
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM

Take a look at the TKTS web page

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co..../tkts.showpage

It'll make it easy for you to find the TKTS booth when you are in Leicester square. They have a map and a picture of the building.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:58 AM

As Patrick and happywanderer say, there is really no reason to go to TKTS early. You can actually get there any time it is open - of course between 10AM and Noon there will be a better selection, but they have good seats available usually right up to closing time.

If you see a longish line, don't despair. it moves very quickly. And be sure to get in the correct queue. One side is for evening performances and the other is for matinees, if you get in the wrong one you will have to go back to the end and start over.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM

In regards to what Janis says about getting in the right line (oops, sorry, I meant queue). When I arrived the other day, I thought they must have changed the system as there was only one queue going to the west. Since I was looking for matinee tickets I was about to get in the rather long single line, then saw that the two windows for matinee did display the arrow for lining up to the east. It seems there were dozens of people in the wrong queue, and I walked right up to the window for matinee tickets.

By the way, add to my list half price tickets to Reduced Shakespeare at the Criterion by going to the box office and asking for SOLT email offer -- advance booking for two tickets at half price (third row center) and no fee. So again that beats the TKTS booth.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM

You may also be able to find some good deals on theater tickets via the lastminute.com website.

I got lucky and was able to get half-price tix for the Royal Ballet once; they usually list a limited number of plays, concerts, etc. as well. You give them your cc and pick up the ticets at "will call" just prior to the performance.