last-minute/sold out theatre in London

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Elizabeth

last-minute/sold out theatre in London

Can people tell me: what are the chances and what is the procedure for looking for tickets to sold-out shows on the day of the shows?

I had good luck last year at the Royal National Theatre showig up 1-1 1/2 hours ahead of time and hanging around--does this work for regular West End theatres, and does it work at the Shakespeare Globe? And are there other places to get tickets on the day of the show?

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Myer

Returned from London day before yesterday. We had booked tickets for MFL directly from the theatre a few weeks ahead.

However, last Saturday afternoon we went to Leicester Sq and bought half price tickets at TKTS for Blood Brothers. It didn't last in New York but has been playing at a rather small West End theatre in the disctrict for 13 years and is fantastic.

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:15 PM
janis

Elizabeth: there are really two ways to get tix to sold out shows.

1) Queue for returns at the theatre 3-4 hours before curtain. Just about every performance has some or many returned tickets. At many theatres return tix sales are cash-only. pros - often good seats and at face value. Cons - A lot of wasted time just standing in line.

2) Buy from an agency. Pros - can get tix without waiting in line. Cons - you will REALLY pay for it.

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Martha

Try going to the theatre box office the day of the show (afternoon). I did this recently and got 4 great seats for that evening's performance of Cats. I think I had read on this forum that the theatre saves some seats for same day sales. I had stopped that morning at ticket outlets, who said they had no tickets during the next 2 weeks for the show.
Martha

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:19 PM
tom

Truly "sold out" shows seldom have any tickets except for returned ones you can buy as Janice says, or those available from agencies - basically high class scalpers. Cats is not a really good example because it hasn't been selling out for months and finally closed last week.