Jul 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Aix en Provence

One day in Aix. Any suggestions.
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
ira

Look up Aix under "Destinations".
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM

It is one of the most wonderful towns in France. Try to be there on a market day, when it is even better,
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM

with one day, you only have time to see what would be listed as the highlights in guidebooks, I'd say. So there woldn't be a lot to worry about, spend some time strolling around the little shops near cours Mirabeau, see the church and museum, if you want. There is lots of beautiful architecture you can enjoy just walking around in some of the nice squares and areas mentioned in Michelin or wherever you choose to read about Aix.
Jul 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM

There is a market every day including Sunday near the Hotel de Ville, city hall. In addition, there is a bigger market every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in front of the Palais de Justice, the court house. don't miss the fabulous bakery, Farinoman Fou, just past the northeast end of that market. If you are a Cezanne fan, walking or taking a bus to his studio is interesting, and it is easy to take a small bus from in front of the tourist office out about 8 miles to Mount Saint-Victoire which he painted 50-some times.
Jul 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM

One day in Aix is perfect for just wandering around. If you set up an agenda, it will stress you out.
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM

suggested reading; TWO TOWNS IN PROVENCE
Aix & Marseille written by one of my favorite writers
MFK FISHER.
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I second many of the previous posts: we spent a day and night in Aix this April and went to the market ( we went specifically on a Thursday for the market and I thought it better than some of the other highly recommended markets like Arles), to the museum and to the Cezanne atelier (really wonderful if you are an art lover like I am). While I'm sure we just scratched the surface of Aix I thought we got a good taste of the city- one which I liked quite a bit.
Jul 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Aix is a fairly compact town and you could get a very good flavour of it in one day. I live near Aix and this is what I would do:

Spend the morning in the Old Town. It's lovely and historic in its own right and morning is when Aix's varied markets will be held in some very picturesque settings.

Lunch on the Forum des Cardeurs in the Old Town -- a big square lined with dozens of open-air restaurants. Le Poivre d'Ane is one of the best, though you'd have to book.

Afternoon: visit Cezanne's studio and (if you're into 20th century art) the Musee Granet, which currently has a major show of work on loan from private collectors.

Then stroll round the elegant 17th century Mazarin Quarter and up the Cours Mirabeau. Have a drink at the historic Deux Garcons brasserie.

More information about all these sights and how to get around Aix: http://bit.ly/gdMI9K