Airline seat selection safety tips

Nov 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Airline seat selection safety tips

I just recently watched a documentary where the experts who have studied plane crashes and plotted the survivors said that you should choose a seat no more than 7 rows from an exit. Aisle seats had an better rate of survival than those by the windows or in the middle of other passengers. They also said you should stay together as a group, do not break families up so that in emergency you can look after your own family. Can't count on your neighbor for that. Just thought I would pass the info along.
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks Miss Maple, but really, airplanes almost never, ever crash. About 40,000 deaths a year in cars in the US, each and every year, year after year.

I think I'll sit anywhere I want on the airplane and worry more about driving.
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM

That's because- thank god - pilots actually have to know how to fly. Whereas about half the drivers on the road have no business behind the wheel. I'm convinced they bribed the person giving them the road test.

I once worked for a man that NO ONE would drive with. And since he was the President of the company he always wanted to drive to the client. We always found excuses for taking out own cars. (He once drove straight into the back of a parked semi because he didn't see it in time to stop.)
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I assume you know that there is a very real danger of survivors being severely burned if they wear any sort of flammable clothing but somehow I suspect few passengers are going to switch to all-cotton attire.
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
P_M

Miss Marple, I believe your intentions are good by posting this, but I don't think you should be so concerned about where to sit. I was not in a crash, but I was involved in a jet fire where they made an emergency landing and we had to evacuate using the slides. My first few flights after that were a little scary, but it's been 2 years now and even I don't worry about where to sit anymore. The odds of being in an accident with fatalities or serious injuries are extremely slim. You might as well worry about which part of the house is safest if lightening should strike. Next time you fly, please sit where you are most comfortable and don't worry about these things.
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Miss Maple

I too saw a documentary on how to survive a crash

it said no seat was safer than another - depened on the type of crash. To count the rows to the exit so you can find them in the dark and for families to have an escape plan - not try to help each other.

Oh and one thing - people panic in crashes (can't think why) and forget how to open their seatbelts.

Crashes are very unusual, but I shall make a prediction that within 12 months there will be a crash involving a plane with red on the tail.
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Miss Maple
Another thought about seating in an airplane, where you chose depending where to sit for comfort.

Those seats along the exit seats over the wing are kind of special. The leg room is greater-Yeah! The bad part of this seating is when you try to recline these seats. Quite often these seats are locked from reclining. The breakover (keeping the back of the seat kept from moving forward)so these might be uncomfortable too.

Depending the airlines planning, the seats on these rows can be modified, so look elsewhere for full comfort.

Oh, make sure that there's not some old and frail voyager, since this person will have to open the exit door and jettison this allowing the other passengers leave the plane. Some airlines question the passengers on these rows now.

But remember, your trip to the airport is more dangerous than the flight itself.

Blackduff
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Okay I'll bite,Sashh! What airline with red on the tail that is going to crash?
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM

yeah, what are you on about sashh? There's only one airline that springs to mind for me with lots of red on the tail, and my kids will be flying it next month!!!
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM

If your plane goes down, I don't believe it matters which seat you are in.
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ira

>danger of survivors being severely burned if they wear any sort of flammable clothing but somehow I suspect few passengers are going to switch to all-cotton attire.<

I spent many years studying fabric flammability.

Except for very heavy weights, all-cotton fabrics burn very rapidly.

About the only fabrics that burn faster (if of equal weight and garment construction) are certain polyester/cotton blends.