Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Area Around La Fourche Metro Station in Paris

Nov 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Will someone who is familiar with the area around La Fourche Metro station please tell me more about it?

Given where it is in Paris, I would assume that the area is upscale with many shops along the streets. However, in my 3 visits to Paris, I have never been there so I don't know first hand.
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Hello,
I definitely wouldn't call la Fourche an upscale area - quite the contrary, in fact. It's a rather grubby, grimy part of the city. Any reason for your question? It wouldn't be my first choice as a hotel location, for instance.
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM

La Fourche is a vibrant working class neighborhood. Nothing gritty or grimy about it. Excellent location for getting the feel of the real Paris.
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:33 PM

definitely not upscale, are you sure you know where it is? It's up near Clichy metro stop and the bottom of Montmartre cemetery.
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I was considering a rental apartment on a gated street just south of the Metro station. The apartment is fairly large and the price is seemingly good. I am investigating whether or not I really want to stay there.

I am not sure I know what the owner of the apartment means by a gated entrance to a "private street." I gathered that the street is fenced off and one must use a security code to enter.

The Michelin #12 map shows a little red barrier at the entrance to the street off of Avenue Clichy.

I have asked several people I know who are Paris visitors, but no one seems to really have first hand knowledge of the area.

The apartment is offered through VBRO, which usually offers decent places I am told. Any comments on that question??

Nov 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I used to live quite near La Fourche (Place Clichy) so I my comments came from personal experience. Everyone has their own assessments and opinions of Paris, but I really don't like that part of the city very much, and I do think that compared with other areas it's pretty grubby (unless it's undergone some kind of huge cleanup in the last few years - I moved away in 2003). Yes it probably is vibrant and "real", but that doesn't make it an ideal place to stay. Not trying to be snobby, just truthful!
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps the evaluation written by Hani helps explain why the rent was "reasonable." In this case, less than elsewhere for approximately the same floor space being equated to "reasonable."

Grubby is one thing; the possibility of crime is another.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM

I can confirm that no cleaning has been done (at least not in september) since hanl moved.
The place is certainly not upscale (and stores are a bit the run down type) - the increasing 'little Pakistan' tendency of the area makes it animated but still very modest working class.
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

When I read that the apartment is on Cour St. Pierre which is a private, gated street, I had hoped that the street itself would be relatively protected.

Does anybody out there have any knowledge of this particular little street?

The neighborhood might be working class, but if it is relatively safe in terms of crime and the private street itself is ok, the apartment might be ok as well.

Any thoughts on this matter beyond the general comments already written above?
Nov 9th, 2006, 08:39 PM

My advice is find another apartment; even if the gated street is fine, you will be milling about the neighborhood on the way to the metro.

The area is not the best, I compare it to Belleville and yes there are nice pockets everywhere but for a visit choose another area.

PS I live in Paris and have done so for many years and would never choose to live by la fouche.
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM

La Fourche is considerably more upscale than Belleville, which is one of my favorite areas in Paris. It's a good thing that not everybody likes the same places.
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Bob, best to go to the photos on PagesJaunes... it appears to be more like an alleyway or walkway that is blocked by a gate, and is between large apartment buildings.

You can see it at 47bis avenue de Clichy, to the right of Crédit Municipal...
Or try this link:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1D62342E
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut: thanks for the pictures. I got a good look at the surrounding area via the pictures.

I was not aware that the pictures were available. So they helped me get a better idea.

The apartment buildings look about like any other apartment buildings to me.
In looking at the pictures up and down avenue de Clichy I don't see anything that looks any worse than many other areas of Paris.

I would be surprised if the La Fourche Metro station was any more hazardous than Montparnasse-Bienvenue. I avoid that station when possible.

Is it worse than Chatelet Les Halles? Or Montmarte?

I appreciate the comments about not going there and "milling about", but without specific threats, I am at a little of a loss as to know what to fear and why I should fear it.

People throwing bottles at me or something? Stalking me as I walk along?
Drug dealers cruising the streets?
Prostitutes grabbing my arm?

I have walked through areas of New York City that look worse than this.
The same is true of Vienna, London, and Dublin.

Having stayed in the 14th Arr twice, I don't see that this area looks much different than what I saw along Boulevard Raspail.

Am I missing something here?
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Absolutely not. There are no hidden threats at La Fourche. Any danger is the usual urban danger anywhere in Paris or any other big city in Europe -- dark alleys at 3 a.m., not crossing to the other sidewalk far enough ahead of time if you see rowdy looking thugs up ahead, etc.
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

After looking at the pictures, I have decided that a place with a McDonalds close by cannot be all bad!!!

Nov 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM

LOL friendly shopkeepers in the 15th lamented the opening of a McDo which is a riff-raff magnet here =)

Tell us how you like to flat and area when you get back.
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I'd say this is one of the most seediest parts of Paris i've seen. 'Gated' may tell you something?
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM

It's true that 'voie privée' is more a specialty of the 16th arrondissement... like Bel Air in Los Angeles.
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I stayed at a hotel not far from there and right by a metro station just a tad south of Gares des Nord and Est - and coming back at night the hotel was also gated - and that was the problem - the gate could only be opened by the desk clerk and he disappeared when i and others arrove late at night - we were all concerned about the seedy crowd hanging around - the gang hanging around the nearby metro station exit could have come out of the Bronx it seemed - not very welcoming even if i was overreacting a bit.
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Train stations are often known for not being very appealing locations to stay... that neighborhood really isn't 'near' Bob's neighborhood.

Bob, can you find any user comments about the apartment and area, you know, like a 'guest book'..?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO