Airfares to Greece...help?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Richard

Airfares to Greece...help?

Hello..a friend and I are planning to visit Greece in May/June 2003 for 2 weeks. I've done some checking on the net and find airfares in the$1,000 usd range. Are there any bargins out there? Do you think I should wait till 2003 to look for airfares? Do you think flying into London or Brussels and catching a flight on Virgin Express (and similar airlines) might help? We live in Los Angeles and I recognize that is part of the problem. Any suggestion?

Thank you for reading this message, as well as many thanks for taking time to respond.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Yiannis

Hello from Athens!

Richard, 1,000 USD sounds expensive. I know from friends and myself who visit mostly the East Coast around 550 it's great and goes up. Recently my brother was in San Francisco, flew Lufthansa. Try Alitalia and KLM (Northwestern) they seem to have offers. The only US airline flying directly from Greece to US it's Delta (not everyday though). Try Olympic Airways too. They fly out of New York, Boston and Chicago if I remember well. They have great new airplanes.
If you decide to fly from London, there is Easyjet (the most known low-cost uropean carrier easyjet.com) They fly to Athens several times a day.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Rex

I don't know how flexible you could be on your dates, but here is an idea from a recent post to a different question. I can't find it right now because the darn indexing is still very far behind.

United has some anomlously low fares from LAX to Paris on Orbitz, well into the late spring/early summer. For example, May 6 to May 20 is only $566, and that's WITH all the taxes.

This might only make sense if you want to spend a day or two actually IN Paris (or London or Brussels or Rome) where you could catch a cheap flight to Greece.

I know of no cheap intra-Europe carriers serving Paris-Athens directly (or even with a single connection), so you will have to pass through one of the three cities mentioned above to get the best intra-Europe bargain.

I would also recommend maintaining www.europebyair.com on your radar screen. Routes and carriers seem to come and go there a lot, and especially in January or February for later in the year.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:17 PM
up

topping, for Richard

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Richard

Thanks form topping...this issues is pretty hot..I want to book asap and then work on the cities.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:16 AM
ttt

It's always nice to get some feedback about what worked out for you on questions and answers like this.